Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison backstrap

Options
Cruezn
Cruezn Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night, after cooking a couple spatchcock chickens, I decided to try my hand at grilling a back strap off of a young doe we harvested last month. I cut the loin into two pieces and marinated in a basalmic garlic marinade. I covered them and tossed the in the fridge while the chickens were cooking. After the birds were done, I inserted a meat probe in on piece and threw on the egg at around 425 degrees. I cooked for 10 minutes or so until I got to a 135 degree internal temp, while turning 2-3 times. I let them rest for 10 minutes and sliced them up. They were absolutely fantastic. Incredibly tender and flavorful. I will definitely do this again. My wife is not the biggest fan of deer meat, but she even commented that this was more tender than the best steak she has ever had. I've not had veal, but would assume it's similar. I didn't get any photos on the egg, as it was too dark, but here's a couple after coming off the egg, and being sliced.
7d106f29.jpg
4628bb52.jpg

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Yum! I need to pull one out of the freezer and cook it up!
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    looks pretty darn good, how in the world did that loin last that long in the freezer :laugh: :laugh: mine are gone the day we buthcher :cheer: :) :laugh: they are so tasty!!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Young does are certainly the best eating. Never thought to do a balsamic marinade, I bet that was a good flavor combination.

I like to cut a section of backstrap about 4" thick, then butterfly it so I have a pretty nice 2" thick steak. Wrap with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick then cook it like a beef steak. Good stuff.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I agree, yearling or 2 year old does are by far the best eating. I let everyone else hang their horns on the wall and then grind their deer. Me, I like to be able to enjoy what I shoot. The basalmic combo was very good, and I would recommend it. It was an accident however, as it just happened to be the only thing I could find in the house. I will try your bacon wrapped suggestion, as I haven't tried that.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    yep....bucks are for jerky and summer sausage. Nanny does are for burger and cubed meat.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    That looks pretty good. I have a couple of straps in the freezer from this past season. I need to break em out and eat em.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • NOLA Q
    NOLA Q Posts: 12
    Options
    Man that looks good. There's a special place in my heart for a good deer backstrap. I usually marinate in buttermilk and red wine over night then garlic salt and coarse black pepper.
  • GW
    GW Posts: 98
    Options
    ****. Nuf said there.