Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

band saw residue on your sliced meat

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you leave the residue on there and prepare and cook as is?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I don't. :)I just wipe it off.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    well, that depends.

By "band saw residue" do you mean the little bits and pieces of meat that resulted from the cutting....I guess meatdust as it were?

Or do you mean metal shavings/sawdust from previous non-meat related uses of said bandsaw?

Or do you mean grease, oil, and other lubricants that have left a residue on the bandsaw which then transferred to the meat as it was being sliced?

If we're talking about meatdust, I don't think it will effect it either way. If you're even considering the other two then, well, that's just goofy.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I know you didn't use the word - but I assumed you are talking about meat with a bone in it and sliced by a butcher's band saw - not your shop saw! There is some bone fragments that I've seen my butcher just scrape off with a knife blade when I buy a bone in prime rib. My guy doesn't sell by the bone but by the inch and if that means cutting a bone in half so be it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    little bits and pieces of meat that resulted from the cutting....meatdust

The meat and fat build up you get when cutting pork steaks and chops with a band saw. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Ron, meat with a bone in it and sliced by a butcher's band saw. ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you're worried about that then I would suggest you give serious consideration to the next time you consume commercially prepared sausage, hot dogs, or ground beef.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Not really worried and I realize this is not much of a topic but, mainly wondering if some scrap the stuff off or just cook it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    dude, you had me worried there... I thought YOU had a meat cutting bandsaw!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    No I don't. This is a silly topic I know. :(
  • RRP
    Options
    Then I was right? You did mean bone dust?

The only mystery to me is when I buy a pork butt like at a Kroger store and then ask them to slice it thin for what we call back here in the Mid-West "pork steak". They take in behind closed doors and there is no way they scrape each piece and not charge for the labor, let alone how quickly they cut it. I then wonder if they use some sort of band saw that has a water rinsing cleaner or if raw pork bones don't fragment like beef bones do.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    They probably just give you some they already had prepared that are about to go out of date and when you leave they put the fresh butt back in the display. :huh: :unsure: :ermm: :S :whistle:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I have watched my butcher make pork steaks and country rib out of butts. I know they have a special curved blade with a handle and they use it to scrape the residue off the cuts of meat. They get a tray down and place the meat on it and scrape off the top cuts off. Then wrap and weigh and place the sales tag on it. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Sounds kinda silly to me...I would clean it off and never have even given it a thought..
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - maybe, but the label that was on the butt going in is always the same as on the one coming back out! Why do I know that? Because I always memorize that since I think OUR Kroger meat people aren't that quick thinking. They are NOT butchers, but former stock boys promoted to working the meat bins due to seniority.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    I have one of those tools for scraping off the meat dust from cut meat. I got it from my butcher friend Huey before he died. Huey had all the tools in his basement to butcher and I used to go over in the evenings and help him. One of my jobs was to scrape the meat dust off steaks that he'd cut on the band saw.

5371150051_f6e0c20c70.jpg
    DSCN2419 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5371150059_559668f4f6.jpg
    DSCN2420 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

The wire bands are a bit flexible and make scraping easy.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks chocdoc that's what I was referring to. Tim ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options