Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT [a little]: Spyderco knife sharpener works well

Prof DanProf Dan Posts: 339
edited 1:44AM in EggHead Forum
A few weeks ago, someone posted a message about the Spyderco Sharpmaker 204 -- I can't find the post, but I wanted to say thanks![p]After I saw the post here, I visited some knife sharpening forums, and then I ordered one. It really works. It consists of four triangular ceramic sticks [2 medium and 2 fine] that are held at a precise angle -- you just draw the knife over the sticks vertically. In just a couple of hours, I have gotten better results than I ever have with any other method.[p]My guess is that an expert knife sharpener with a really steady hand probably could do a better job freehand than with this tool, but I have ruined several knives with my freehand technique.[p][Is this technically off-topic, by the way? I use the knives on meat that I have Egged -- doesn't that count?]

Comments

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Prof Dan,[p]You have ceramic, medium, meat, and egged in your post. Totaly on topic.
    I liked the link also.[p]CWM

• Prof Dan,
    GrillMeister first mentioned it. I took his advice and ordered mine. Like him, I was so impressed I also posted positive comments about it.[p]I've never had sharper knives around here than now.[p]Spring "Sharp As A Tack" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
    Prof Dan,[p]It's a pretty sharp sharpener eh? How many knives did you do in a couple of hours? It takes me about 3 minutes to put a very nice edge on a knife. It works great on all sorts of blades and my electric knife has never been sharper.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
  • Prof DanProf Dan Posts: 339
    GrillMeister,[p]I probably did ten knives and three pairs of scissors. I took it slow at first. Takes me about 5 min per knife -- poor hand-eye coordination.

• Prof Dan,
    I first saw Grillmeister's post and then ordered one when Spring Chicken gave it positive comments. It's pretty slick, I got mine last week and sharpened all of my 'good' knives in the first night.
    DrR