Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pasties inspired by Ku

Boilermaker BenBoilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited 7:13AM in EggHead Forum
Here's why I love this forum.

Many thanks to Desert Oasis Woman for posting her thread about a week ago, of the pasties her husband Ku made recently. I had been planning on making a pot of stew, and the pasty idea fit in perfectly as an idea for a quick midweek meal.

The stew was egged, but I made the pasties in the oven tonight, simply because I didn't feel like monitoring the egg temp, while I was making the pastry shell.

DOW, your shell recipe worked very well. I did a little egg wash before baking, and they turned out golden brown. Fantastic stuff. About halfway through the meal, I figured I should take a photo as a way of thanking you and Ku for inspiring a wonderful and easy meal.

editedIMG_6185.jpg

Comments

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    I'm gonna need more than one bite. :P
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    Looks terrific Ben! I'm no stranger to the original pocket meal.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ben,

Looks great! I'm gonna do a steak and kidney pie this weekend B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Now that looks awesome! I didn't even know that Ku cooked...thought he just did refills for DOW! hehe...kidding. I'll have to look up the thread as I'm sure she won't send it to me know. lol

Bruce
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    and you fuss about 'Loney! kidney pie??? :huh: :laugh: ;)
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    :laugh: B) I don't care who you are,that's funny!
  • There's still a little stew left. How does tonight work for you? C'mon over.
  • Yep, kinda confirms that the processed food folks are ripping us off. $3 for a flavorless Hot Pocket sodium bomb, or less than $1 for this beauty.

Enjoying your winter, Clay?
  • mmmm, meat in pastry.
  • Thanks Bruce. Here's the thread.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1021915&catid=1

In retrospect, I should probably add that only the food was inspired by Ku, not the attire. ;)
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    Yes, I guess I'm one of the few that enjoys winter as much as any other season. Snowing right now, lazy flakes and the spruces look like a Christmas card.

Got a poolish going, hearth baking Kaiser rolls tonight and Diana bought some 12 count shrimp so that's what for dinner tonight. Grilled wings with a blue cheese dip for the Packer game Sat. and Wisconsin wild rice and chicken soup for Sunday. My eggs will be busy. :lol:

Also getting started on building a table for the small egg so lots going on.
  • Sounds like a fun weekend! I've been doing more breads in the past couple weeks. It had been months since I was baking regularly. I've done a couple standards lately (dense "hearth" bread, and a couple ciabattas), but I just visited a local Indian grocery to get some curry leaves for a bread I saw on Ruhlman's blog a few days ago. Gonna get the sponge started tonight.
    http://ruhlman.com/2011/01/curry-leaf-bread.html

Will this table be a variation of your previous design, or something altogether new?
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,393
    Ben, where'e your kilt?
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    ewe I just got a visual! :unsure:
  • Real nice cook, Ben ;)

Will try to get Ku to do the Egged eggwash next time.
    He mentioned (many years ago) that some places in MI served pasties with a flakier crust and an egg wash but he always stuck to the traditional crust.
    Of course, don't know if the kilt was "traditional attire" ...
  • Ku said his Dad would make Steak and Kidney pie occasionally, but it stunk so bad he'd go forage in the woods!
  • Can't wait to see you in OKC, Brucie :))