Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE, BBQ Guru and Camping Plans

Options
JimboBQ
JimboBQ Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my BBQ Guru came today. I knew this delimma would occur. I'm in sales meetings through Thursday evening so I can't be home to play with it. Then we head for Hunting Island near Beaufort, SC for a little camping trip in our recently bought TrailManor on Friday. I think I'll carry the small BGE and the new Guru and try it out down there. All I've been able to invision cooking low N slow with the guru are butts for pulled pork and ribs. Any suggestions as to what other meats I should try? I'm afraid I'm not very imaginative.I want to dazzle the other campers using their Webbers and other grills/cookers. I got the 4 cfm fan and draft adaptors for both my large and smalls with extra probes and clips.[p]Thanks,[p]Jimbo
Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JimboBQ, Did you get the little adaptor so you can run it off a 12V battery?

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I'll chime in here - if he didn't he can get one at any Radio Shack for 10 bucks - then he'll also need a 300 amp battery jumper pack - runs about $40 at Wally World.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    Don't overlook meatloaf. There have been several recipies on the forum lately. I find them great comfort food on a camp. Also, anything braised. Use a dutch oven inside the Egg. The savory flavors are great in the wild.
    Dave

• The Virginian
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    Go for the pork butt. That way you will have plenty to feed the mouthwatering masses in addition to making them envious! [p]If you want variety, think about grilling something. Mad Max has a nice rolled flank steak recipe which tastes great and makes an exceptional presentation. [p]Brett

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    JimboBQ,[p]For around $21 you can get a 75 watt inverter that plugs into your cig lighter, at Lowes. Should be more than enough to run a Guru.
  • HolySmokes
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    Any TrailManor I've seen big enough to include the
    kitchen already has either an inverter or 110 outlets
    in the package. As it turns out, "Hunting Island has
    a 200 site campground located on the north end of the
    park. Each camp site has its own water and electrical
    hookup, a picnic table and area for parking."
    So you're set![p]now, what to cook... take a butt and a tri-tip or two and
    you'll keep yourself busy and everyone fed. Plus a rack of
    ribs for the afternoon inbetween and you'll have 'em wowed.[p]Don't forget the spices, rubs, and sauce or you'll be off to
    the store during the middle of your cook![p]have a great trip!
    HS.[p]

• JimboBQ
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I got the 12 volt adaptor so I can run it of off 110 volt ac. The campground has full hook-ups. I'm not worried about the power for the guru. I'm looking for different items to do on a low n slow other than pork butts. I need a little variety in the campground. Of course, I'll be taking in a bit of the local seafood down there. I've been waiting on Marine Cook to throw into this thread,,,,,,since I will be so close to Parris Island![p]Jimbo[p]
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • JimboBQ
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    I'm looking forward to getting back to Hunting Island. It's been several years since I was there. I understand the ocean is taking its toll on the beach now. It is one of our best state parks here in SC.[p]By your profile I guess you like to camp too. I wonder how many of us eggers are also campers??? And how many of us take our eggs along? I bought our small recently just for that purpose. Now, I need to make a portable "nest" for it out of plywood for transporting it. Someone suggested I could just put the egg down in a cardboard box, shoot the box full of insulating foam and let it dry. It seems to me the foam would stick to the egg. What do you think? Thanks for the input on what to cook.[p]Jimbo

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    JimboBQ,[p]Personally, I would go with tried and true things on your trip, and take the "new and unknown" out of the equation (both with the cook you choose and the guru, too). It's too easy to mess something up when you haven't done the recipe before or used the equipment, and if you're out to impress, nothing will create the exact opposite impression more than if you look like you don't know what the heck you are doing.[p]We do pork butts for pulled pork on our small every time we camp. If you're looking for a low and slow, that'd be what I'd do. A 6 or 7 lb one will fit nicely, still leaving room for airflow, and if you get up early, you don't even have to do it overnight, but can tend to it during the day without the worry of "what if my fire goes out because I fell asleep". [p]Other things we do...pork tenderloins (not low and slow, but quick and impressive), chicken (wings or thighs can be done direct on a raised grid at about 250° for 1.5 - 2 hrs), steaks (ALWAYS impressive!), chili (using a dutch oven) and all kinds of seafood.[p]Good luck and have fun!
    Tonia
    :~)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    my personal favorite camping meal is a boneless legg of lamb.ive always trexed it with an open fire with a flat rock in the middle of the pit to cook inderect, but an egg works good too, just not as dramatically.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it