Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Setting up my large egg for an overnight cook

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to do an overnight cook tonight and decided to post pic's of the process of getting my egg ready for the cook.

I go out to my large egg.

000_2423.jpg

I open the dome

000_2424.jpg

I take out everything that is in there. I am using my third hand to remove my food grid.

000_2425.jpg

Here is my third hand for my food grid and my third hand for my cast iron food grid and my wiggle rod.

000_2426.jpg

My third hand for my cast iron food grid in use.

000_2427.jpg

I need to remove the used lump so after I stir the ash off of it I put it in my other egg because I plan to use fresh lump for my overnight cook.

000_2429.jpg

Now I will clean out the ashes and make sure the holes in the fire box are clear of ash and small pieces of lump or anything else.

000_2430.jpg

Here is my ash bucket.

000_2431.jpg

If you look close you can see the ash build up behind the holes. It's been a while since I cleaned out the bottom of the egg so I think it's time to take out the fire box as well. No need to pull the fire box every time some wait 2, 4, even 6 or 12 months.

000_2432.jpg

I carefully remove the fire ring.

000_2433.jpg

I rolled my other large egg over close and set the fire ring on top in my other egg.

000_2434.jpg

I moved the fire box to the other egg as well.

000_2436.jpg

Now I will clean out the ash build up from under the fire box.

000_2435.jpg

Now I am ready to put the fire box back in.

000_2438.jpg

Now that the fire box is back in I need to align the fire box with the bottom draft hole.

000_2439.jpg

000_2442.jpg

000_2443.jpg

Now I am ready for the fire ring. Once the fire ring is in I will shift the fire box one more time to be sure it's sitting flat in the base.

000_2443.jpg

Now the lump grate and the holes are beveled so beveled side down.

000_2444.jpg

For the overnight cook I will add a little lump. I will use Royal Oak.

000_2445.jpg

I will use some chunks of hickory. No need to soak them in water.

000_2447.jpg

A small amount of lump then some hickory chunks.

000_2448.jpg

A little more.

000_2449.jpg

I fill it up to the top of the fire ring. Ready to light later tonight.

000_2450.jpg

The plate setter goes in and the BGE feet. If you don't have extra feet you can use balls of foil or anything.

000_2452.jpg

My drip pan from an old electric oven broiler. I have two notches in it to fit in the plate setter.

000_2451.jpg

I foil the pan for easy clean up.

000_2453.jpg

Now ready for some meat.

000_2454.jpg

Comments

• stevesails
    Options
    EXCELLENT!
    Save that link for the next time the quesion is asked!

ok.. how do you light it with all that stuff in it?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Steve, I need to take out the plate setter, drip pan and grid. Then light the lump. ;)
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Good man for taking the time to put together this post. All new Eggers should bookmark this post.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Perfect Tim. I do believe you have done this a time or two. :P :whistle:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Dave, I know it's over done but, I hope it helps someone. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Tim, GREAT POST!! I was gonna do that tonight too - now I don't have to! Awesome, bud - I owe you a beer!!! HAHAHAHA!

Actually, I wasn't gonna do ALL that, nor DID I do all that. I did take the old lump out (was down to some pretty small bits) and vac the ash, but I didn't bother removing the (now 2-piece) firebox. Looks like I might have filled with a bit more lump too, but not much. Gonna light it about 8 or 9 and put a 9 lb butt on about 10. Set the Guru for 225° grid and see what happens. First overnighter with the Guru (or without it for that matter). Supposed to already be snowing (but it's not), so I had to rig up something to keep the Guru dry.

Not sure how many pics I'll take, but I WILL take one of the drip pan full of grease, just for SmokinSoCal. Hey, a cooked butt looks like a cooked butt, no?

Good luck with your cook!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I sure it will. It sure would have helped me when I first started out.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Michael, I have two butt going in about 8pm central myself. I bought a two pack that weights a little more than 20 pounds. I had a feeling you were going to post soon as well. Ha! Wish you well on your cook tonight. ;)
  • tcracing
    Options
    I want to know where you found Royal Oak Lump with pieces that big. All the bags I use usually have medium pieces at best. The Wal-Mart employees must handle them pretty ruff. :angry:
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Tim, I get it from the pallet before anyone else lays their hands on it. ;)

Good name you have there, Tim Ha
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Ha you moved on me.
  • tcracing
    Options
    I always try to hear and feel to make sure that there's not alot of small pieces. I sometimes get some real weird looks when I do it. :laugh:
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • tcracing
    Options
    Tag, you're it.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • stevesails
    Options
    that reminds me, i am down to 2 and a half of those red bags.
    This after 9 months of trying other brands. this is what I am going to stick with.
    6.67 for 10 lbs. not too bad.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Had the butt in my freezer for a while. When I ordered the Guru the other day, I moved the butt to the fridge to defrost. Haven't looked at it since. If it's defrosted, great. If it's not, that's great too - it'll just take a little longer.

I have no intention of getting up in the middle of the night to check on this thing. The only way I will ever see 3AM is if I just stay up!! That's why I've never done an all-nighter. Hope the Guru works!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tcracing
    Options
    Mine goes up during spring and summer, but at $8.67 it's still a pretty good deal. I'll stock up before it goes up this year.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • tcracing
    Options
    Even with the Guru, you will most likely check on it at least once during the night.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    As long as you have flames burning in your egg and your fan don't blow them out you'll be fine! :woohoo:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Great post Tim, I hope that you are going to do a similar post for those of us that have medium Big Green Eggs. I'm having a hard time cross referencing. :huh: :lol:

Just kidding Tim, You did a great job. You might send a link to that to GG, he may want to add it to his helpful list.

Blair

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Hahaha. No I won't. If it's still cooking in the morning, great. If it's not... oh well. NOTHING will wake me up in the middle of the night.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tcracing
    Options
    Well then, sweet dreams and let us know how it goes.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Blair, Let me get a medium and I work it up. ;)

I just sent it to Kent. Thanks, Tim
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    More chunks!!! :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
  • Egger 4 6
    Options
    Thanks for the detail!! Had my XL for about two weeks and loving it! I wasn't sure how to correctly clean ash. My EGG was delivered and set up before I could pick my tongue up off the patio and wipe the tears from my eyes.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Egger 4 6, Remember you don't have to take the fire box out very often. Glad I could help. Tim ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Egger 4 6, I do want you to know I don't clean my egg like this every time. I usually use my ash tool and pull the ash out from the bottom. I demonstrated cleaning my egg out for an overnight cook. Tim :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Nice post Tim.

Kent