Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

21# Turkey in 2 hr.....again

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is scaring me a bit. I thought that when I first posted that I cooked a 21# turkey in 2 hours, not on purpose, that I would get all kind of responses about how I must have had the temp turbo'd or some other explaination.[p]I swear on my Mother's eyes that it was indeed cooled in 2 maybe 2 1/4 hours AND it was VERY tasty and moist. I had a load of lump up to the fire ring......it was burned almost completly out when I looked at the bird at 11:30 when my Polder alarm went off.....AFTER TWO HOURS![p]I did have trouble with the thermo's at the begging as I had a bunch of things that I had to do when I least expected them to be done. I had to show a rental property and could not find the keys....then I wewent to show the property anyway and thought I would just break a window to get in......well when I got back the alarm was going of and the bird was DONE.....all in two hours.....I SWEAR!!!!! Not sure how or why! [p]Anyway....just wanted to write another post and STAND MY GROUND!! lol[p]Did I tel you about the BB I did in one hour??? ONLY KIDDING! PAUL

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    i absolutely believe you that managed to cook that thing in 2 hours. . .however, i can't believe in a million years that it was cooked at 375 degrees. . .and if you burned out a full load of lump in less than three hours, then i know your guages must be off somewhere.. . .[p]or like mollyshark said, there must be something in the air down there. . .[p]anyway, i'm glad it turned out good for you. .. did you make the gravy??

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,[p]I've seen turkeys cooked in kettles in about the same amount of time. I don't know what the temp was though.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    was it brined, ive had brined ones cook in at 10 minutes per pound at 350ish. before this tday i had never brined befor and the 3 that i cooked since have gone much faster

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks for the believing!!! lol[p]I started out at 375 and then when all went to hell around the house I kind of let the Egg do it's own thing....and it did it well...albiet at a very high temp. I would guess that most of the cook was in the 500 mark. I just can't believe HOW moist the bird was.[p]Yes I did make the gravy......you ever notice how there is never enough though? Sort of like the hot dogs/hot dog roll problem.....[p]Paul
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    i always make about 4 quarts of gravy to start. .. . then, as i'm warming gravy for left overs, if i'm running short, i'll extend it by adding some chicken broth and thickening it with some 'roux'. ... i can usually stretch it pretty far. ..[p]500 degrees. .. .now that makes more sence. ..glad it still turned out ok for you. .. .

• jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    Midnight Smoker, any chance the dome thermometer might have stuck into the turkey giving you a false reading? Don't ask how I would know about this. Jim.