Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I put on a brisket at 10:15 that weighed about 9 pounds affter trimming. Plate setter, drip pan, brisket rubbed with 50/50 mix of Cow Lick & turbinado sugar. At 9:30 this morning I have an internal temp of 193. It looks great but the bark or crust just feels like warm fat - very mushy and not at all what I expected. Did I not trim enough fat off? The dome temp has held at 250. When I inserted the Thermapen the texture was like a knife through butter. When should I pull the brisket and what can I do next time to get a nice crust?[p]Thanks and oinks,[p]Pigasso.

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Pigasso,[p]I would get the fire up to searing temp and quickly sear the top and bottom of the brisket. If you do it with a really hot fire, it should take about 2 minutes a side and not affect the tenderness of the meat. I've done a recipe of braising short ribs, pulling out the bones and then grilling each side of the piece of meat with great success. BTW, this makes great meat for sandwiches.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Pigasso,
    What was the final verdict on the brisket? It sure seemed to cook quickly. Did you try searing it to restore the bark? Did you make a batch of burnt ends for snacks? And just curious, did you cook it fat up or down?

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery