Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paraffin

Options
thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there paraffin in the bge fire starters?

If not, will paraffin hurt the egg is used for fire starting?

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Yes, they have paraffin. Here is a link...
    http://biggreenegg.com/charcoal.html

Scroll about half way down.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Not sure if it is the BGE starter, but has been used before by eggers in different starters. I would guess that the parafin would burn up long before there was a bad effect on the BGE.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    thegrillster.

Don't know if there is in the BGE ones but I have used others that had it. Long time to get the smoke clear, just my opinion.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I used to soak a few wood chips in parafin and use a couple as starters. They worked fine.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I've used Weber brand fire starter cubes for 10 years in my eggs and if those aren't paraffin then I don't know what paraffin is! They completely burn up and leave no smell, taste, or residue. Go for it! BTW did you get me email last night via this board? Basically hoping you mark Saturday June 4th to attend the 9th annual Peoria Eggfest. It's FREE and FUN!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • N'awlins
    Options
    Might want to google: is paraffin a carcinogen And decide for yourself.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    N'awlins wrote:
    Might want to google: is paraffin a carcinogen And decide for yourself.

This is obviously a personal consideration. I do not use paraffin, because I prefer MAPP gas, but I have used it in a pinch and would do so again. If you are worried about burning paraffin outside, you probably want to reconsider grilling too.

These days there are even recommendations about how much of what kind of fish you should eat, but I have never bothered to keep track.