Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

getting HIGH temp

Options
Hasenpheffer
Hasenpheffer Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone.[p]I'm new to the BGE-cooked on my large BGE only twice so far but with great results. One questions though...I was only able to reach about 525 degrees. How do I get it to reach around 700 degrees?[p]I added the recommended amount of lump coal and had the bottom damper fully open and the top damper removed.[p]Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Hasenfeffer,
    One thing many beginners overlook is the alignment of the firebox...with the lower vent wide open, look into it, you want to ensure that the opening in the firebox is lined up as evenly as possible....Also make sure your lump is not damp, use as much fresh lump as possible, fill to the top of the firebox...before doing that you want to stir any old lump and make sure the holes in the lump grate are not clogged with ash...And on that note, if you are still using the older ceramic charcoal grate, get a new steel one it allows much better airflow, hence higher temps....either way you should be able to get 700° without much problem...dont expect to get there in 10 minutes tho, it will take a little time....HTH[p]Wess

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Hasenfeffer,[p]Assuming the thermometer is correct and doesn't need calibrating...not enough air getting to the fire. Could be left over ash from previous cook or too small pieces, chips or dust restricting the airflow. You can try stirring it a little from the top, but if your food is already on you might get some ash on it. Or you can make a wiggle rod from a coat hanger, poke the wire up through the bottom of the grate and wiggle it around to allow more air in.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Hasenfeffer,[p]One of the things I've found is that people just dump whatever comes out of the bag in until the firebox is full. If you're going for heat, put the big lumps on the bottom to allow airflow. If you just pour, you can end up with a lot of little pieces that clog the vents and clog the airspace between the charcoal. Take a little time to sort by the big pieces. If you're re-using, make sure you stir it really well to get the junk out of the airholes.[p]Other than that, whatever Wess says.[p]mShark
  • Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    Hasenfeffer,
    If you really want the lava temps, hit the bottom vent with a blow dryer. Believe me, I have done it and it works. The people on this sight are filled with awesome ideas and recipes, so you'll be taken care of. (Unless that is, you are "Your Friend") Also, the wiggle rod works great!. I made one last night and I was able to shoot my temps way up.
    Happy Egging![p]Paul

• Eggvis,[p]I appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments.
    I'll give some of these ideas a try on my next cookout.