Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Potatoes?

Options
Adrian B.
Adrian B. Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
(I already perused through the archives)[p]Last night I cooked a couple of mean pork tenderloins that turned out dee-lish. I also threw a couple of baked potatoes on the raised grid extender to go along with the meal. I cooked them direct at 350 for an hour. All I did was wash them off and put them on the grill. When I pulled them they weren't done. What did I do wrong? Not hot enough? Not long enough? Or just plain wrong? TIA.[p]Adrian

Comments

• vr6Cop,[p]wrap them in foil. maybe smear some butter on them first.
  • randomegger
    Options
    vr6Cop,[p]I generally wash them up, stab 'em with a fork a few times then coat them in olive oil and kosher salt. Last time I had them on indirect with a prime rib at about 350 for an hour or so and they were plenty done. But the were on the smaller side, fwiw.[p]RE
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    vr6Cop, the size of potato I cook normally takes an hour at 450. Not usre what the equivalent time at 350 might be but I would say it needs an extra 15-30 minutes at 350.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    vr6Cop,
    i dont remember who suggested this before. smear with lard,roll in kosher salt, double foil and put on the coals to cook for about an hour.they are too good to tell your doctor about

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    vr6Cop,
    I pierce with a fork then put them in the microwave til they are half-done (about 5 minutes on hi for 2 larger baking potatoes). Pull em out, let em sit til you can physically handle them, then rub on some olive oil and coarse salt.
    Finish the way you cooked them to start with, but I put them right down on the grid if I'm in the 300-350 range, just off the side and away from real hot spots; a little 'char' is okay but not all over, IMO. Don't foil or you won't really get any que flavour into them.
    Qfan

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    man, if anybody knows anythng about eggin baked potatoes, its you dizzy pig boys. ... .heeeeee

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]I start mine in the microwave also, but I use these times. 7 minutes per large baker at 50% power. I'll try your times and power tonight. I could save a few minutes that way. Thanks![p]Steve-B
  • vr6Cop,
    Thanks!
    G