Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a good website for reasonably priced wood chips?

Options
Abe Froman
Abe Froman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are some good websites to shop for some reasonably priced wood chips? Thanks!

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Nope, I support my local BGE dealer only.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Abe Froman
    Options
    Good for you. Next time, try replying when you can add a helpful answer instead of trying to add to your post count.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I can find wood chips at almost any grocery store, sporting goods store, Lowes, Home Depot any place I have ever shopped.
    Where are you locaded and what type are you looking for?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If there is added shipping I am not sure if on line would be a reasonable price. You will need to check. Google is your friend.

BGE lump is made by Royal Oak which also packages for Kroger as well as several other private label. Korger has purchased smaller chains, out here the Kroger owned stores are Smiths Food King. They will order in the Kroger brand w/o shipping charges.

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and other hardware stores carry Lump although different brands. I have also seen some Lump in Mexican themed grocery stores in this area.

I like RO and the private label versions, Cowboy burns well it just looks odd as it is flat slats.

I would like to support my local egg dealers but $25 for 20# is just...

GG
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've never had a problem finding them locally either, whether at grocery stores or Lowes/Home Depot. Is there a certain kind you are looking for?

An interesting one to try is the Tabasco wood chips. It will actually impart a spicy flavor to your food. Think I just ordered that off their website last time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Good info on lump but he is looking for wood chips.
    The shipping cost is a factor either way. I did order some from Amazon.com and shipping was free because I ordered over $25.00 in wood "chunks".
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I like the JD oak barrel ones as well. Pick those up all over town as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Abe Froman
    Options
    I didn't have anything specific in mind, but I was just looking for something a little more exotic. Yes, I see the regular species in local stores, just thought I'd try something different. I remember reading in one of dr bbqs books a list of sites to check. Ill just dig out the books and check it out. Thanks for the responses.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I actually cruise Craigslist "free" section looking for free wood because they often list the type. I've scored free cherry, peach, and hickory that way. It's a bit of work but I have a year+ worth of cherry chunks from 4 hours of work.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can often grab something in a pinch at the local big box hardware store. furniture grade wood will be free of finishes and even at full price likely cheaper than buying chips in the first place.

run it thru the saw and you are good to go.

cedar 'undercourse' shingles are good for planked salmon, and can be tossed in the trash rather than bothering to reuse them

almost everything else i have found in the yard, or traded for
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    When you find the type you want to try just google.
    "apple wood chips"..."peach wood chips"

Also try Amazon.com and Ebay.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    There's no need to be so hostile. This is a friendly community.

Here is what you want.

Hawaiian woods I would e-mail them. Their inventory often differs from what is posted on their website. Ah, the island life!

Lots of wood types
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Academy Sports will often have chunks and chips in their BBQ section.
    I would support by local BGE dealer except he charges $5 or the same bag and brand of Western chips that WalMart sells for $2-3.00.

Grates & Grills in Gulfport, MS used to have the best deal around, until they remodeled the store. They had many bins of different wood chips and chunks that you could scoop into a bag and pay by the pound! las, no more! :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Stoker.

Great info! :woohoo:
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Www.hawgeyesbbq.com

Very large selection
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Clark,

He was only hostile to a Canuck. That doesn't count :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I have the same issue with my dealer. They are double and sometimes triple the price for the exact same bag I can get at meijer. I understand you gotta make a profit but come on
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Steve, I was not referring to that part - after the Tweeve semester, I usually just ignore snappy responses. :laugh:
    I was thanking Boston Stoker for the good wood chunk/chip links he posted!

Hope you are well, mi amigo.

Happy New Year to you guys up in the Great White North !
    (y'all can keep all that cold stuff!!!!)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    hawgeyes bbq, preditor pee, guava farms. guava wood is similar to pecan though a little lighter and sweeter. always keep looking around the house, things i find are apple, black cherry, wild grape vine, lilac, oak, maple, shagbark hickory. if you find a hickory, all you need to do is peel off some of the bark and your good to go. i grow rosemary indoors in the winter and it makes a good smoking wood as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Weber-17005-Apple-Chunks-5-Pound/dp/B002Y0KA1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1293562174&sr=8-1 for chunks and links to chips too.

Try ebay or craigslist.

There is a place on cermak that sells wood and they do chips and saw dust (I think).
  • egginator
    Options
    I've been a member here since 2006. A bit of a newbie by this forums standards. One thing that is great about this forum is that the people are nice and don't (for the most part) lash out at each other. I think your response is a bit harsh considering that there are loads of people on this forum that support their local BBQ store and I don't think anyone on this forum gives a crap about their post count. It's a nice community. Be nice.

Ed
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I understand Mr Food's frustration. Ask a question, see a response ...no help. Didn't mean to offend, just offer an opinion.

Also don't care about my post count, otherwise I would respond with 'Looks Great' to every post :)

Happy New year everyone ... another year in the books.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Abe Froman
    Options
    Sorry about my harsh post, it was made in frustration. This is a great forum that has allowed me to meet very nice and generous people. That is for certain. I apologize to whomever I offended.

However, please understand that it can be frustrating when a question is asked and one receive replies that are not relevant to the discussion, or they change the direction of the entire thread. I am not a instigator, like tweev, but I also have trouble not speaking up. I did go about it in a wrong way though.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Papa bear
    Options
    Try this place if you want to shop on line. I have used them a few times when I cannot find what I am looking for.

barbecuewood.com

Mike
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    :) Ordered from them several times - fast service, fair prices. And they have a lot of "stuff" including wood chips...
  • frankie482
    Options
    If you have a DOITBEST lumber store in your area, they have free shipping to store on their website on wood chunks and chips.

http://www.doitbest.com/Main.aspx?Ntt=wood+chips&Pageid=365&Ntk=Default&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=4294967115&Ne=4294967294
  • egginator
    Options
    Well, I've used Guava Greg's guava and really like it. I have also traded local texas pecan for Alaskan alder with someone on this forum. I always use wood chunks so it's easier to make your own and ship. We used UPSP flat rate boxes and cut the chunks to fit the box.

Ed
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Way too many places to buy wood chips without using ordering online which increases the price due to shipping. Even Sears sell wood chips at a decent price. Buy from a nearby local merchant. Driving 10 miles at 40 cents a mile to save $1.00 is crazy!