Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone In versus Bone Out on Prime Rib Roasts

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first bone in (have done a few bone outs before) and was not as impressed with the results as I expected. First, the loss due to bones was much more than I guess I expected. A 4-rib did not go as far as I expected (although no one went hungry!). This combined with Costco selling the bone outs for less than a dollar more than bone in (prime) makes it tough to justify paying Costco that much for the waste.

secondly, and most important to me, I think having the exterior finish being 360 on the roast is a good reason for bone out versus bone in. Felt like as we got down into the roast it was good, but without the real flavor of the crust (we did a mustard garlic rub with mesquite and oak wood).

Finally, temp still jumped around (diff temps in roast during cooking) on me just like the bone out, but when rested, pretty good ocnsistency in finish thoughout.

Anyway, results were incredible, either way. I know the bone in is prettier on the table, but I think I will fall into the bone out for future cooks!

Happy Holidays to all!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    In the '90's I had a friend who was a butcher with his own shop. He used to tell his customers that the bone in a rib roast or a pork butt was a waste of $$$. The cost/pound and the yield was more cost effective without the bone.
    I have never bothered to test the info, but prefer boneless butts. I go either way on prime rib as we like to snack on the bone and it makes great beef barley soup.

Soup, Beef, Barley, Richard Fl

What about the rib bones?

INGREDIENTS:

PROCEDURE:
    1 I like to make beef barley soup with them. Dutch oven, bones, beef/chicken stock, carrots, barley, onions, celery, sliced mushrooms, seasoning. Cook for couple hours add barley toward the end, depending on type, determines the time.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Soup

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/12/26
  • winemaker ron
    Options
    I did a 17# boneless choice for christmas, we have a Cash& Carry here a reatruant supply place. I selected one of 50 to choose from that had 25 days in the bag. Then dry aged it for 10 days.On the egg till 117 internal, rested 1 hour in a warm cooler then the reverse sear. This piece came out so good. Everyone raved about it. Looking foreward to some blackend prime sandwiches this afternoon.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    OK, my BIGGEST dissapointment last night was that there wasnt enough left over to bring home and make blackened prime rib!!!! :laugh:

Wife just SHOCKED me asking if we could have friends over tonight and cook the second half of the prime roast!!! So, I guess last night was still pretty awesome :lol: :woohoo: !!