Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen DigiQ

Options
tmuenster
tmuenster Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I am about 10 hours into my first brisket on the BGE and using the DigiQ for the first time. Planning to serve the food around 6:30p tonight. Pit temp is set at 215 F and Prop is set for 185 F.
The ambient temp is around 5 F today and got below 0 last night. I loaded the BGE full thinking it would be a long cook and might take more charcoal with the cold temp outside. Put the brisket on at about 1am and at 8am starting to see the temp drop. I figured it was running out of charcoal since the DigiQ was running almost constantly. Opened the BGE and pulled off the brisket, drip pan and plate setter only to find there plenty of charcoal. Pulled the DigiQ fan and found that it was FROZEN closed! There was some condensation that dripped into the fan tube and plugged it up. I chipped out the ice and opened up the damper a bit more and everything is working fine. I took some pics but I will have to figure out how to post them.
The brisket looks GREAT! I followed the recommendations from my fellow BGE users and cut a “notch” out of the corner of the brisket so I would know which way the grain runs after the cook. I ate the burnt end, or notch piece, this morning and that was so good. I can’t wait to dig into this later today.
Thanks again for all the help. Looks like this brisket may turn out OK but I will keep you posted. The DigiQ is a great piece of gear and I recommend it to anyone that wants to do “low and slow” cooking.
Best,
Tom

Comments