Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBB Help

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started curing 5ea 4# butts last night for Christmas, 1 for my table, the remainder for friends. I'm using Hi Mtn cure. Having done this several times before, I'm eggspecting great results. However the butts we partially frozen when I applied the cure, as I had taken them from the freezer approx 48hrs prior. It made for easier trimming of the fat, but I am wondering if it will affect the cure time or otherwise the outcome.

Comments

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    They for bacon? I need to find some hi mt. cure & try that. On my to do list.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Yes "Buckboard Bacon" or "Pioneer Bacon".
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Yes, temperature is one of the variables when curing. I feel the ideal range for curing is 38°-40°. The HM instructions call for a range of 40°-45°, but I personally feel that is too high.

To answer the rest of your question the best I can.... At about 36° the curing action really slows down, and since your roasts were partially frozen, parts of them will be much colder. Now what I can't tell you is how the curing salts migrate when meat is frozen (or if they actually do). Without a fluid exchange (and in this case some of the fluids are frozen) I would think you won't get any cure into the center of the roasts until they thaw.

Why not give the folks at HM a call and see if they can shed any light on your question.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Ron, I have 2 10 pound butts deboned and cut in half coming out of the curing process tomorrow. This is my first. Good luck with your cure. :) Tim
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I figured it might. I'm gonna take it 2 extra days to see if that helps. I may end up having to chop it all, cutting away the uncured portion.