Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BBB Help

BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
edited 1:04AM in EggHead Forum
I started curing 5ea 4# butts last night for Christmas, 1 for my table, the remainder for friends. I'm using Hi Mtn cure. Having done this several times before, I'm eggspecting great results. However the butts we partially frozen when I applied the cure, as I had taken them from the freezer approx 48hrs prior. It made for easier trimming of the fat, but I am wondering if it will affect the cure time or otherwise the outcome.
·

Comments

• pcipci Posts: 249
    They for bacon? I need to find some hi mt. cure & try that. On my to do list.
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Yes "Buckboard Bacon" or "Pioneer Bacon".
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Yes, temperature is one of the variables when curing. I feel the ideal range for curing is 38°-40°. The HM instructions call for a range of 40°-45°, but I personally feel that is too high.

To answer the rest of your question the best I can.... At about 36° the curing action really slows down, and since your roasts were partially frozen, parts of them will be much colder. Now what I can't tell you is how the curing salts migrate when meat is frozen (or if they actually do). Without a fluid exchange (and in this case some of the fluids are frozen) I would think you won't get any cure into the center of the roasts until they thaw.

Why not give the folks at HM a call and see if they can shed any light on your question.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Ron, I have 2 10 pound butts deboned and cut in half coming out of the curing process tomorrow. This is my first. Good luck with your cure. :) Tim
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    I figured it might. I'm gonna take it 2 extra days to see if that helps. I may end up having to chop it all, cutting away the uncured portion.
    ·