Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Easy Gasket Removal - Plz Suggest

danv23danv23 Posts: 441
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks. I've seen many methods on removing the OEM gasket, but the other night someone said to heat the egg up to 300 degrees and stick a bolt or two between the upper and lower for an hour. At that point it's supposed to peel right off. Anyone else try that, or something easier? Just curious.

Thanks!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
·

Comments

• I got mine up to 800F....melted right off! :woohoo: (and I never replaced it.. :S )
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    a razor blade paint scraper will take it right off..I have done several and never heated one of them to remove an old gasket..
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    ;) 3 cheers!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Hooray! :)
    ·
  • tsbradytsbrady Posts: 101
    acetone and a wire brush and it comes right off
    ·
  • I was the one that suggested that method and it works well most times. Could even crank up the heat if the adhesive isn't releasing. It doesn't remove all the adhesive but the gasket will generally fall of with little effort so you are one step closer towards preparing the surface. There are a lot of gasket/adhesive failures during high temp cooks. Since the heat is allowed to pass over the gasket because of the gap, it gets the job done. Good luck and attach your new gasket with high temp silicone if you want it to stick well. The 3M adhesive is not the best in my opinion.
    ·
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 441
    Thanks! I'm going Rutland this time which should be my last. Got from RRP with instruction, but I always look for the better/laziest way!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
    ·