Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking For Portabella Suggestions

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PortMushroom008.jpg
<p />Hey Y'all, made a detour on the way home to the mushroom farm and picked up 5 lbs of whole portabellas. A few are going to be sliced and sautéed for tonight's dinner and the rest I'd like cook tomorrow on the egg.
Would y'all mind sharing some of your favorite ways of cooking these puppies....... and some of your favorite stuffing recipes?
Thanks and PBR's.[p]John[p]
PortMushroom004.jpg

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]John...[p]Looks like you're up to your "Gills" in Portabellas!! (sorry)[p]Those shhuuuure look good!![p]I'll get you the stuffing paticulars this evening!! [p]I used large Criminis on the pictured ones I did the other evening![p]I posted the other day for your info on grilled Oyster mushrooms....any help there?[p]I've a couple lbs in the frige awaiting your command!![p]Evans[p]
    Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    GrilledOysterMushrooms.jpg
    <p />Yo Evans![p]Oooobs..... I see your post now.... sorry dude.
    For oyster mushrooms cook direct and hot about 400 degrees or more.
    First lightly brush with xv olive oil, dust with yer favorite rub.... tsunami spin is very good..... and grill until brown and just charred on the ends. Serve hot.... they are best when they are almost too hot to eat.
    Very easy and ooh la la good.[p]John[p]

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Will do Commander!![p]Thanks for the timely response! My wife is chomping at the bit!![p]
    Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Hi John, [p]First thing I would do is get that giant piece of cow dung off. Actually, I'd probably pull the whole stem off, de dung it and make some mushroom stock with it.[p]Then I'd marinade the caps in some Italian dressing with some extra garlic added. Grill gill side down really hot, flip and top with lots of bleu cheese. As soon as it melts they're done.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    drbbq,
    Man, sounds good, but I like adding browned sausage before the cheese.[p]CWM

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Hey Ray, I don't know where you're from but in my neck of the woods the dash o dung gets fought over.[p]How long in the marinade?[p]

• Hi John,[p]I've posted this here before, but the page was wiped out when I did a Google search for it. [p]This is the next stuffed mushroom recipe I'll be making. I haven't met Linda and Phil of Smokin' Guns yet, but I hope to soon. Their recipes are so simple and just keep winning.[p]Lee[p]Stuffed Mushrooms (Smokin’ Guns)[p]1 container large mushrooms
    1 small package diced pepperoni
    1/2 roll Ritz crackers, crushed
    1 cup chicken broth (bouillon)
    1 medium onion, chopped fine
    4 Tablespoon butter
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion salt[p]Wash mushrooms, separate caps from stems. Discard stems.
    Melt butter in skillet, add onions and saute until clear. Add pepperoni and saute for about 1-2 minutes.[p]Mix bouillon cubes with about 1 c. water. When dissolved, add to onions and pepperoni (reserve about 1/2 c. of broth). Add Ritz cracker crumbs and spices. Mix well.[p]Stuff caps with mixture. Put mushrooms in a baking pan. Pour in remaining broth. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.[p]

• drbbq
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]The things I missed growing up in the city.[p]2-8 hours. They get soggy if they stay too long.[p]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    how about spawn's sausage, mushroom, parmesan cheese stuffing???

• WooDoggies
    Options
    mad,[p]Proportions? Times? Tidbits?
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    drbbq,[p]Thanks dude... and much appreciated.[p]

• WooDoggies
    Options
    QSis,[p]That does sound very good....I think perhaps substituting a dry sausage for the pepperoni would work, too.
    Those Smokin Guns folks sure know what they're doing alright.[p]Thanks, Lee and Happy New Year to you and QBro![p]John

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    take a pound of italian sausage (hot or mild depending on your taste), grill them on your egg, but leave them a little underdone as they will get cooked more later. .[p]she takes about 1/3 of the total mushrooms along with the stems from the others, dices them up, sautes them in a pan with olive oil, some rosemary and optional garlic. .chop up the sausage and add it into this mix when close to being done. ..[p]in a bowl, mix up an egg, about 1/2 a cup of milk and some broken up french or white bread, along with some grated parmesan cheese. . .mix in the mushroom/sausage mixture to this, and add some ken stone's witchy red (tsunami spin works well here also). ...[p]fill the whole portobellos with this stuffing. ..sprinkle on a little more rub, and some more greated cheese. ..grill them direct at around 350 degrees dome temp for about 10 minutes. .. .serve them up with a little more grated cheese on top. .. [p]3rd prize winner in last year's new holland kids q' competition. . ..

• WooDoggies
    Options
    mad eggdome,[p]Very nice. Thank you..... and thank the Spawn.[p]John

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    glad to see you back up and operating here again. .. will we be seeing you on saturday??. . .

• WooDoggies
    Options
    mad beyond,[p]Good to be back.... thanks! [p]Having gotten stuck an extra day in NC due to the ice storm, it is unlikely that WooKitties will be able to make Arlington on Saturday....... however, I still may make it with Mr Earl..... if he's back from GA in time....... [p]How's that for an ambiguous answer?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    hey, i work in the gov't services industry. ..that's a perfect answer!! heeee . . .. [p]hope to see you saturday my friend, and mr. earl better show up. ..that's the primary reason for doing snails. . .[p]

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    shroomplated.JPG
    <p />drbbq,[p]I love this recipe of yours for portabellas and I've been using it for over a year now since you posted it a while back. However, I prefer marinating the caps for no more than 10 - 15 minutes, as I've found that they pick up the marinade very quickly, and the shorter marinade time keeps them nice and firm and preserves more of the natural portabella taste, which my wife and I enjoy.[p]Just wondering if you've tried a shorter marinade time and what your thoughts were on this . . .[p]Also, I've been using Chevre (sp?) goat cheese on these lately and it's REALLY good. Try it if you haven't already.[p]Thanks for all you contribute,[p]TRex
  • drbbq
    Options
    TRex,
    Thanks for the nice words, but I think this is one of those things that everybody thought of at the same time. I do like them very basic though.[p]Yes, I have tried the shorter marinade, I like them to soak it up a little more. I make these all the time at demos, sometimes they marinate 10 minutes and sometimes they marinate 18 hours. I like them in between. Sometimes they cook for 5 minutes, and sometimes for 30 minutes. They're good both ways, just different. I have also tried different cheeses, but I don't think anything stands up or matches up near as well as the bleu cheese. The shrooms and the garlicky dressing are strong flavors, I think they need the strong cheese.
    The simplicity is the great thing about these. Of all the different things I cook for people, this is the one they make for themselves more than anything else.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ