Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone know how to get more flavor INTO a ribroast

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done 1 or 2 rib roasts where I put garlic slivers in the meat and rubbed with S&P and rosemary. The outside was awesome, a great crust, good flavor. My issue is how to I get more flavor INTO the meat? I suppose I could inject but I would rather not, any ideas?

thanks

ps I would be no more then 4lbs and it would be choice beef.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    If you're doing all that, perhaps the beef is so lean that there's no fat (marbling) to render any flavor beyond the crust. It's kinda like hamburger.. 90%+ makes (only) for good hockey pucks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    thirdeye did one around thanksging injecting an au jus sauce into the roast while it was cooking, i like the idea of getting some salt and beefy flavor down inside the roast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    That is a good idea. Won't several injections make more juices run out?

Also the sell them semi-boneless - as in the bones are detached but I tie them on. Would it help if I roasted BONE UP so that all the flavor from the bones drips and bastes the meat?
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    The key to flavor is fat! If you want added octane, buy Hormel or Smithfield..
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    how to I get more
    flavor INTO the meat?

Feed the garlic to the cow.

What's wrong with your beef? (personal question, I know). Why do you need to get more flavor in it? Have you tried grass-fed beef? I hear it has a different flavor than corn-fed beef.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im thinking he did the injections from the top, once the meat is warming up it relaxes and takes more of the injection from what ive seen on other cooks. i like the ends of a ribroast better myself, what i do is cut the roast into two bone sections, a lot more tasty ends that way and you get a better medium rare near the surface with the faster cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    age it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    You know damn well they don't let gourmet things like grass fed beef and non-fried chicken on the southside. Get your head out of your oil drum ben!
  • stike
    Options
    juice runs out from damaged cells. only the cells you puncture give up the juice. it's not a water balloon.

anything you inject is going to run out quickly anyway. it doesn't get absorbed into the meat, so much as get forced in between the fibers.

brining will get flavor into meat, but not sure about brined beef.

start with good beef, and you'll have the best flavor. injecting other flavors seems counter intuitive to me. i mean, we don't inject apple flavor into our oranges, do we? :laugh:

if you inject au jus, it's gonna be on your plate just as if you didn't inject it, and then ladled it on when serving
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    TheDirtyBurger wrote:
    You know damn well they don't let gourmet things like grass fed beef and non-fried chicken on the southside. Get your head out of your oil drum ben!

Silly me, what was I thinking?

Mmmm...oil drum chicken.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Marinate. In a vacuum if you can. No harm in making deep incisions into the meat and stuffing some herbs and spices down into the incisions. Puncturing it before you cook it will not harm the end product.

Inject with a melted herb butter near the end of the cook.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Like you I stuff with garlic cloves and when it is served sometimes use an au jus or béarnaise sauce. That is enough flavor for me.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01475raaa.jpg

This is the one fishlessman mentioned above. I shot it from the end when the internal was about 100°, and I used a warmed liquid. I injected in a couple of places in the lip and about 4 spots in the eye. My new injector has metered amounts of liquids, so I paused after each shot.

DSC01461ra.jpg

I was careful to press the plunger as I was withdrawing and did pause for a few seconds after each shot and again before pulling the end of the needle out. I did get some leakage, but I get leakage when injecting raw meats. I was pleased at the way the warm meat took the warm injection.

Lardingneedle-1.jpg

One other way to get flavors into roast is to use a larding needle. I have the Lardoir style with the slider. Other styles require that you pull the needle all the way through. You can load it with fat, lard, compound butter or whatever.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    damaged cells, water balloons, fiber forcing, brining…. you don’t have even the slightest idea what you’re talking about as usual. “We don't inject apple flavor into our oranges, do we?” Speak for yourself, & while you’re at it riddle me this big brain, how else do you suggest we get the appley flavor into our oranges?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • stike
    Options
    hahaha

it's true, man. injecting anything into meat ten minutes before you cook means you have created little pockets of fluid. this stuff isn't magically absorbed into the meat. cells do their damned best to keep their water in and other things out. you want flavor, or to cure it, you gotta inject and let it sit a good long time so some osmosis can actually take place. i love thrdeye, and that dude knows more than anyone about anything, but one thing i noticed about those injected au jus pics was that the au jus just sorta blooms out when the meat is sliced. like a secret pocket of juice. that stuff isn't in and around the meat, infused into it, it's just lurking in between the meat waiting to get let out by your knife.

i'd rather cook a piece of beef that tastes like beef, and spend the time and effort on the MEAT itself.

sure, i'm being a little bombastic, but seriously. anything you inject into the meat just before, during, or after the cook, is going to run right back out onto the plate again when you cut it. so why not just pour it right on the slices/ you'll have more 'flavor' if you pour it on, because you are likely to pour more on that you'd have from injecting.

just sayin
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    If you have a large roast, you could divide it into smaller roasts and cook them at the same time. That way, you'll have more end pieces with the flavor and crust. As stike suggested you could also age your beef.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    My recent roast (prime, and very well marbled, although deboned, which I will not do again unless no other option) was excellent, but I think the thing that really put it over the top was the rub crust (coarse ground mustard, coarse garlic (lots), herbs, and some butter) was really what made it special. For a steak, how many bites do you have without the outer crust anyway? My thought is that if you really want more flavor, concentrate on your crust. And as many have said before, buy the best piece of meat you can reasonably afford.

Besides, how much more flavor do you really need for a prime (or choice) cut of rib roast cooked over the egg? Me thinks it is pretty dang good.... :silly: :lol: :woohoo:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Well........
    Dependent upon what flavor you are looking for???
    My thought is a marinade. And that can run a gambit of tastes...
    Now, if you're looking for a rich smokey flavor (not just as a first taste, then petering out, or WAY overwhelming) I'm thinking Whiskey!
    A little for the marinade and a little for the chef and "All is Well"
    Here is some useful information.

The use of "JACK or JIM" (Jack Daniels or Jim Beam, that is!) at the North Portage Smoke-Shack:

Smoke and spice sound like great complements for a grilled meat, but the leaner cuts seem not to take on as much rich flavor on the grill.

This challenged me to find a way to add an authentic smoke flavor without overwhelming the "meat" flavor.

We have to realize here that smoke flavor is a build up on the outside. What I am really looking for is a good “smoke” through out the meat, with out an overly strong flavor hitting the pallet first!

Starting with most any soy sauce-based marinade, that works much like a salt-water flavor brine penetrating the meat to season it and keep it a bit moister, I just couldn’t get the smoke flavor that I really wanted, so I started thinking "additional marinade ingredients"…... And I reached into the liquor cabinet for something entirely different (for me at least)…whiskey!

Adding a “kiss of whiskey” to a marinade provided just the right amount of the smoky, sweet flavor that I was looking for.

Notes: I titled this "Jack or Jim" for a very specific reason. These are two relatively “oak pungent” (Jack being much more pungent) straight bourbon whiskies that are aged in charred oak casks.

Not all whisky is created equally. So don't just grab any whiskey from the bar (Canadian Mist or Windsor, just won't do the trick), use an oak aged straight bourbon to get that “smokey kick” when doing a marinade or making a sauce!

For what it may be worth, here is a marinade that I have used with both chuck and sirloin tip roasts. It is simple and very straight forward. Bag this up for as little as 4 hours, or as many as 24....In my mind, the longer the better!

Drunk & Dirty Marinade:
    1 C. soy sauce
    1/2 C. bourbon (I use Jim Beam)
    1/4 C. Worcestershire
    2 T. brown sugar
    1/2 t. ground ginger
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • fishlessman
    Options
    vodka into oranges, 151 into watermelons, never apple juice though :laugh:
    fukahwee maine