Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used Eggs?

Options
eggboiler
eggboiler Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings! In the market to purchace my first BGE. Have an opportunity to purchase a slightly used egg. Was hoping to get some opinions on purchasing new vs. used. I'm aware of the non-tranferrable warranty issue. Anything I should be aware of that I might be missing as a rookie?

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    unless you are getting a huge deal, think about trying to score a demo egg...to me it wouldn't be worth not having the warranty unless I got a great deal....
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Demo eggs are great, if you live near a demo. The cost of fuel would make getting a demo egg for me way more than just buying it new locally. I have bought 3 eggs used, and do not have any problems. I recently had a fire ring crack on my used mini, but the replacement seemed like it was under $50. Replacement parts are not that costly, I spend more money every year on charcoal than I ever do on replacement parts. Sometimes a good deal is hard to pass up, I wouldnt stress over a warranty. Besides, the replacement part you buy has a lifetime warranty. Good luck, I hope you find a deal so you can start enjoying an egg.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if the deal is right its worth it but consider that the firebox and ring is worth about 130.00 and it will need replacement down the road. now here is what ive replaced over the years: firebox, fire ring (its time to replace these again), lump grate, lower exterior base, hinge assembly. i upgraded the cooking grates with aftermarket grates, upgraded the dome thermometer with an aftermarket therm, made my own indestructible lump grate as the original didnt stand up. whats original is dome and daisy :whistle: the warranty is a good thing to have. if yoe do buy the used egg you need to tip it over and check for hairline cracks on the bottom, they usually start at a corner of the lower vent and disapear under the egg, its rare but does happen, you dont want to spend money on a cracked egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Good info on the hirline cracks. Be sure to take everything out of the egg (all internals) and inspect it carefully.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Eggboiler - As stated in other posts, unless you are getting an amazing deal you might be better off waiting until an eggfest and paying an extra $50-$100. Not only is the egg going to be covered BUT you know FOR SURE the egg was not misused (i.e. bad charcoal, rain, lighter fluid, etc.). If you are buying it from someone you know or you know everything is legit, and you think the deal is great go for it.

I have a large I got used and a small I bought as a demo egg so it has the warranty. I wish I had the warranty on my large but from what I have heard there are ways around it and it depends on your local dealer. Either way get an egg and know it shall not be your last!
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Does rain = misuse ;)
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    it sure does if the noble Laurette who had it left the rain cap off or left it open
    :whistle:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    What is a rain cap :laugh:
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    You know that green ceramic thing I use to weigh down my newspaper while I am drinking and egging.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Quit lying, Tim. We know you don't read, and they don't make newspapers with the kinds of pictures you like.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Not only is the egg going to be covered BUT you know FOR SURE the egg was not misused (i.e. bad charcoal, rain, lighter fluid, etc.). If you are buying it from someone you know or you know everything is legit, and you think the deal is great go for it.

if rain is misuse, then i think there are a ton of people on here that misuse the egg :huh: . Dont worry about the rain! or snow!! :cheer:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive had it sitting in a puddle half way up the lower vent and was cooking away ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    see nothen can stop the egg!! well... maybe there are but i dont want to find out :laugh:
  • eggboiler
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of the suggestions. What's the going price on a demo egg? I'll make sure to check for cracks.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Where do you live? Price range can be $600-800 depending on location and package.
  • grillmandan
    Options
    www.sunshinestateeggfest.com