Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LGE vs SGE for camping, travel

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New addict, have had LGE for two weeks, just bought my 2nd bag of lump.(it's really cold here!) Now I can't possibly bear the thought of cooking on my old portable gas grill in Fla in Feb or in Canada fishing next summer (smoke green egg salmon fillets!!), so need a smaller egg! 65lb small vs 30lb mini, but the 9" grill seems just too small I think. Can you do a stand up chicken on the SGE? or on the Mini? Usually cooking for two or four on the trips. How about 4 steaks on the small or mini? Need some advice from experience. Thanks for any advice...know I should have all of them, but I am just beginning!

Comments

• Jim,[p]I would recommend the small over the mini for any type of camping or travel. The mini is a great litle cooker that is wonderful for small grilling jobs and would be hard pressed to do 4 very large steaks at one time. However, they do cook very quick so it would be easy to get four out of the cooker in about 15 minutes. I don't believe that you can do a stand up chicken in this cooker. [p]The small cooker will feed 25 people in one cook with something like pulled pork. It will easily do a stand up chicken with the right setup. It will also do two butterflied chickens at one time again with the right setup. It will also do great bread or pizza and is really like your large but with a little less capacity. A sharp cook can cook a whole meal on the cooker for four people with something like chicken breasts, baked beans, mac & cheese along with some yeast rolls or a small pan of bread. [p]In my opinion, it's a great cooker for camping.[p]Dave

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    OurCamp.jpg
    <p />Jim,
    I agree with good Old Dave. He couldn't of said it better. Definitely a small over the mini. [p]Now, if you are car camping and have room, then why not haul a medium? I can handle that guy myself, and I am not a football player or nuthin. We usually do a winter car camping trip with "the boys", out in the snow of the West Virginia highlands. Last year we brought the large and the medium, and had them going four days straight in the bitter cold. Frozen beer and hot food![p]Happy campin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Traveling_Egg.jpg
    <p />Jim,[p]I concure as well. The small is great for camping. You may want to build a eggtransporter for it so it won't tip over on sharp turns.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Banker John
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I have been considering an eggtransporter for my medium to take camping. What are the dimensions of your transporter? I want to find out if I can fit the transporter thru the door of my camper.[p]Banker John

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Banker John,[p]The eggtransporter for my large is 25" square and 20" square for my small, so your medium should be somewhere in between. Here's the link from the archives for when I made it. Let me know if you have more questions.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

[ul][li]Egg Transporter Thread[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Banker John,
    I gotta ask...did you "ever"???[p]Now that I'm retiring on Jan 7th I just might be able to see that Batman like spot light in the clouds signaling the "RUTLAND MAN"!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Old Dave, Thanks for the good info...made a trip to look at the difference in small, med and mini. You are right, I am sure with a platesetter (hope they make one for the small), grill exstender etc I do about anything for 4 on the small. Medium gets too heavy, mini is just too little surface area. Guess I better get to saving up for a small plus building a transporter for it to ride in the truck and boat.[p]Good cookin' Jim (Indiana)
  • Banker John
    Options
    RRP,
    Retirement? How are swinging that? You can't retire; the financial services industry may go into immediate upheaval![p]The RUTLAND MAN light still shines in the clouds over Lecanto, Florida. Directions are very easy... we are about 35 miles west Ocala, off I-75. Of course, pizza WILL be the main course should you come our way![p]Better yet, the Florida Q-Fest is March 19 in Ocala at Silver River State Park. There are cabins and camping sites, along with several hotels and every other amenity you can think of within 5 miles.[p]After reading many of the posts on the Rutland, it seems that it has lost its flair and it may pose a health hazard if installed improperly. Fortunately, my leaks have mostly stopped now that they are so gooey.[p]Send my best to the Mrs.[p]Banker John