Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maximum Drip Pan Coverage Needed

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished making the marinade I will use tomorrow on my pork buts for Cuban style pork on New Years' Eve.[p]Have two buts this year, 9.6 lbs and 7.5 lbs. First time I've done two, and just now realized that the fancy "upper deck " grate I bought is too low to fit one of the buts under it. So, I guess I need to do them side-by-side on the main grate. I've seen plenty of posts in the past espousing new, world outdoor records of 6 or more buts at the same time...so I wonder if there is a drip pan "scheme" that covers more area in the large BGE than the standard Weber 9X13 pans I normally use.[p]Please send help soon. Butt coverage can be a serious problem in the wrong situations...

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WDAN,
    real simple. .. take heavy duty aluminum foil. ..double it up and fold up the edges to make as big a drip pan as you want.. .its all i ever use for drip pans. . .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    WDAN,
    disposable turkey pans work well, did you find a substitute for the sour orange

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    WDAN,[p]I tripped over a 16" pizza pan for my large at the restaurant supply place. Only cost me $6 used. It leaves just enough 'breathing space' and I've done 4 7-8(ish) pound butts stacked. Have to give up a little bark on the meat but what the heck. I just set an extra grill right on the pan and let'er rip! I put my pizza stone under the drip pan.
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I went ahead with 2 parts orange juice to one part each fresh lime and fresh lemon juice. It seemed that for every piece of info I found, there were just that many more combinations of juices. I'll let you know how it turns out.