Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Beans, Potato Salad & Ribs

Options
Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a recipe for beans and potato salad that would go well with baby back ribs? Sue E. and I will continue the holiday spirit on Wednesday with six in-laws coming by.[p]I plan to leave work at lunch and put on 6 racks of ribs. Now here is the leap of faith - Sue E. has to leave for the airport to pick up our guests, and I have to return to work to make money to buy a gasket and handle for the mini (see post below!). I gather that I will cook these indirect at 225 - 250, but we will not have the opportunity to "baby sit" these ribs. I'm thinking inverted plate setter, drip plan and about 4 1/2 hours?[p]All comments and recipies appreciated![p]Oinks!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Pigasso,
    i'll let the rib experts chime in on ribs... [p]there are lots of great recipes around for beans. .. here is how i do mine, really simple. ..[p]i have a metal pot that i have turned into my 'egg pot' (or i also use any of my le creust pots). . .[p]i buy 'bushs' baked beans. .. . throw as many cans in the pot as you want. . .add a chopped up onion or two to taste. ... add about 1/2 a cup of brown sugar.. .add a big splash of whatever bbq sauce you have in the kitchen. .. add a dash of tobasco if you want to . . .stir it all up. .. . lay 4 or 5 slices of thick cut bacon right on top. . .stick it in the egg at around 300 degrees, indirect on grid over plate setter. . ..let em cook for a few hours. . .(you can also add some wood if you want em good and smokey). . .don't stir as the bacon just sets on top. . .. remove the bacon before serving. .. delicious. ..[p]like i said, there are lots of good baked bean recipes out there. . .these are awfully easy though, and they taste great. ..

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Pigasso,
    boston baked beans
    i like a mix of beans, 1/3 kidney,1/3red,1/3 yellow eye.
    soak over night, then bring to a boil.remove 2 cups liquid and reserve. add more water and 1 teaspoon of baking soda,bring back to a boil and take off heat. let it sit for an hour and then drain.the beans should be relatively soft at this point, if they are not, reheat and simmer.[p]sauce
    2 cups reserved liquid
    3 tablespoons white sugar
    3 tabespoons brown sugar
    1 cup molasses
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1 tablesoon kosher salt
    black pepper
    heat to a simmer.[p]in a bean pot (a covered casserole dish, cast iron pot,etc would do if you dont have a bean pot) layer half the beans,then 2 samll sliced onions,rest of beans, then a half pound of salt pork.add hot liquid. add hot water to fill cover beans but not pork fat.cook covered for 6 hours and then uncovered for 2 hours or until fat browns at 275- 300 F. add light cherry smoke for the uncovered stage.[p]taste beans and if not sweet enough, add a small amount of molasses or maple syrup at the end of cook[p]note: if beans are not relatively soft befor cooking, they will take much longer to soften if you add the sauce.different water sources require different soak times. if the beans are a little runny after cooking, i will remove some liquid and reduce on the stove until thick. beans are always best reheated the second day.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Pigasso,[p]Well, sounds like beans out of the can, doctored up.[p]For sometime in the future ... Beans from scratch require an overnight soak. I basically just use the recipe in Better Homes and Gardens and give it a few twists - like adding tomato sauce, dried mustard, more salt pork, vary ratio of molasses (or maple syrup) and brown sugar, etc. Then, it's all gotta cook a lot longer than what it says in the recipe, IMO.[p]I usually start baked beans two nights before I want to serve them. The first night I soak them. The next night I let them cook.
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Forgot to mention MY most important tip - I like to used Navy beans. Any other bean generally turns out mushy.
  • Pigasso,
    Hi, this recipe can be made a few hours ahead and reheated.
    2 28oz cans baked beans (B&M brick oven if possible)
    1/2 cup catsup or BBQ sauce,1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup maple syrup,1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp.dry mustard, 2 cups baking apples, peeled cored and cubed) 1/2 pd bacon
    Preheat oven to 350 in a 3 qt baking dish mix together beans,catsup or bbq sauce,vinegar,maple syrup,brown sugar,dry mustard and apples. arrange bacon over top of casserole and bake for 45 minutes. if made ahead just reheat on 350 until heated through. about 20-30 minutes.
    i also have a delicious and simple recipe for cheese potatoes that are so simple and we make them with ribs quite often. if you are interested let me know.