Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter versus V Rack and Pan

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a plate setter that has never been taken out of the box because I have typically been using a V rack with a pan underneath. This has worked for turkey, chicken and Boston Butts. I'm cooking a prime tomorrow(another first). Is there a major advantage to unpacking the plate setter? If I use the plate setter do I just use a pan and cook the rib on the grid - or still use the V rack?[p]Merry Christmas

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Michael from SC,
    Personally I prefer a platesetter, place it on the fire ring with the feet up, place your drip pan on the platesetter, then place your cooking grid on top of the feet.....at this point "I" would look at how much clearance there is between the top of the drip pan and the cooking grid itself. You want to have some distance between them. In other words if the drip pan is touching the grid I would use the v rack, if there`s an inch gap between the grid and drip pan I would just use the main grid. The gap between the 2 allows for more even heating as the drip pan acts as a heat deflector.....HTH[p]WEss

• WessB,[p]Thanks Wess - that was very helpful!