Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Steaks on the BGE

Options
jbenny
jbenny Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I finally did some steaks. I've done ribs, brisket, boston butt, chicken wings, cornbread, and a turkey but this was the first steak and it turned out amazing.

Did DP Cow Lick (it was on sale), they were inch and half NY Strips, seared at 650 for 3 min on each side and then shut it down for 4. Came out a delicious rare/med rare.

a05c746f.jpg
The picture was an after thought.

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Looks really good!

Most on here seem to prefer the TRex method (a resting period betweeen the sears and the final cook to temp). Supposedly it makes it more tender. I like it because it gives me time to insert a remote probe (and not over a blazing fire) and get the steak to the ideal internal temp every time.

Of course, if you think you can duplicate what you pulled off then stick with what works.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Great looking steak....cooked perfect. Need to try that method. I have used DP Raising the Steaks on mine and it gives a good flavor. BTW a cold Brewski would have topped of that meal for me. ;)

Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • jbenny
    Options
    Yeah, I would have had a cold beer but we were all out from the boston butt we did saturday and I didn't feel like going back out. Part of the issue when grocery shopping on Sunday mornings, they don't sell beer in Texas until noon
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Oh, it looks perfect!

I tried the reverse-sear last week and really, it was a lot easier than searing first, then bringing the temp down. No hot parts to handle, if you use a cast iron griddle or shuffle grids around.

As someone here suggested, get the internal temp (by Thermapen) to 95° and take the steak off to rest while you raise the Egg temp. What I did was just take off the grid, open the vent and take off the daisy wheel, and later throw the steak right onto the flaming coals because I love the burnt fat edges. But I could have used the grid if I wanted.

Oh, that burnt fat. Delish.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Wow, that steak looks good enough to....wait looks like someone already has. :laugh:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    By the time I get around to taking a picture, there is nothing left on the plate.
    When doing a low and slow I am not looking for a camera when its Finally done; I'm looking for a fork.
  • jbenny
    Options
    Mikee wrote:
    By the time I get around to taking a picture, there is nothing left on the plate.
    When doing a low and slow I am not looking for a camera when its Finally done; I'm looking for a fork.

The only reason I took a picture was because a buddy of mine sent me a picture of a low and slow whole pig done in a pit. I couldn't be one upped
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    nice steak........

looks like you were playing that junior high game where you move the paper folds in and out to some phrase/saying....then open the fold to read your fortune or something.......dang, what was that game called.......the blue napkin reminded me of the game......LOL t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    That looks very nice. Glad to see you are throwing in some veggies. Thanks for making me hungry! Have fun.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Stake looks good but those green beans caught my eye. Look like fresh ones. Are they? :woohoo:
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Looks like you did good, JB!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This