Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Golden Brown Dizzy Pig Grilled Taters

Options
Eggsellent
Eggsellent Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried the Grilled Taters a couple times now. Once they turned out ok - but not close to what I think they should be.[p]I might be wrong, but it sounds like they should be golden brown (hence the name)with a crunchy crust (similar to a steak fry I think). Mine go from looking like they might begin to turn brown to charred and ruined in about 30 seconds. Also, they aren't crunchy - more like a sliced baked potato. So they are too done on the outside and not crunchy enough on the inside. [p]Yes - I've followed the directions. When that didn't work I tried smaller slices, brought the heat down and turned more often than every 10 minutes - no luck.[p]Any other suggestions? I got close once, but not like I want. Nature Boy's picture looks so yummy - that's what I want to achieve if possible. Check out his recipe below.[p]
[ul][li]Golden Brown Dizzy Pig Grilled Taters[/ul]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Good afternoon Eggsellent!
    Hmm. Not really sure, but they work purty well fer me. By your description, sounds like you need a bit less heat and a little more time. What happened when you brought the heat down? Did they still get charred and ruined?[p]I think it is a balance between the thickness of the slice, and the temperature. Maybe using lower heat (300 or so), and giving them more time before flipping to build up the crust. I check the undersides once in a while to see how they are browing, and move them around depending on hot spots. They take a bit of attention. Try some different thicknesses, and see which comes out best. And maybe even a different kind of tater?[p]Hope it helps a bit. I haven't done those in a while. Could be time!
    Happy holidays to all the Backers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]"Also, they aren't crunchy"[p]My guess is - not enough oil for this problem. You aren't frying but you want them to TASTE like they're fried, basically. Just a guess.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Pakak,
    Prolly a purty good guess. The oil helps. I douse them purty good before the rub. I kinda flip em around in the oil, then they kinda sit in a light film of oil on the plate, and I hit them with rub on the top. Flip them right onto the grill rub side down, then shake more rub on the oily tops (what used to be bottoms ~). Once they are cooking, don't move them for a while until the rub hardens up on the bottom, or you will wipe off the oil/rub combo. This is bad news if that happens. Once it hardens and starts forming a crust they can be moved freely but gently.
    Easier to do than it is to 'splain, but I hope I helped!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    ive been doing them in a wok in the house with grape seed oil. i boil them until almost soft,drain and refridgerate over night. slice 1/4 inch thick then fry. they come out pretty good. it might work with one of those grill woks.since the potatoe is already cooked, you would only have to work on crisping them

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    Thanks guys! I'm determined to get these done right. If I haven't mentioned it before - starch is my favorite food group (stupid atkins is ruining everything)! I'd love a dinner that includes T-Rex ribeyes, grilled taters and my asparagus wraps! YUM!!!!! I'm on a quest to master these taters...

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Sorry Molly, but I have not been able to keep up on everything lately. About those asparagus wraps?? Did I miss something?[p]Thanks, and Merry Holidays!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Hey Chris. She's making the urchin dinner, but she's referring to these:[p]
    [ul][li]Molly's HAPS wraps[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Todd. I'm there!
    Holiday beverages to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com