Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI grate cracked?

Options
wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to use the Large egg last night and noticed that the ci grate I bought in October has cracked in 4 different places.
I'm trying to figure out how this happened and also is there a way to repair it.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Last time i used mine i heard a "Snap" noise and saw a few sparks fly off the grid -- i'm assuming it cracked but haven't really looked at it yet. It was heating up at the time, and was around 500 degrees??
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It happens. Stress relief, I guess. My first one lost a 5" long rib. My second just cracked in one spot, but no pieces fell off. Both broke within just a few cooks. My third is still in it's plastic bag. All covered under warranty (one year for accessories). If the third one cracks, no more free replacements. So far, the second one hasn't cracked again, even at hi temps.

I keep meaning to cut the first one in half so I'll have something I can use for two level cooking. Haven't done it yet. Would also like to cut one down to small size to use for searing near the coals. Haven't done that yet either. Guess I should use my new one a few times and see how badly IT cracks. Then I'll know which ones to cut where.

Some people like it when chunks fall off. Give's 'em a hole for adding smoke wood during a cook.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Grate or Grid?Grate is down in the bottom,the thing with holes that the burning coals sit on.Grid is the one up top that you cook stuff on.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    haha - unless you have ANY other brand of cooker. They all have charcoal grates and cooking grates. Old habits (and terminology) die hard! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• wkygriller
    Options
    Sorry Hoss,
    It is the grid. I bought it at eggtoberfest this year.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Can't help you there.Grates are covered under the LIFETIME warranty,not sure about the grid.Mine(CI Grid) has a big chunk broke out of it,but after the initial break it has'nt got any worse. :huh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    trouble is its a design flaw in that the center gets hot faster than the outer ring and stress causes it to break. If it was out of the warranty period you would be better off taking a hack saw and cutting the outer ring every 90°.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • wkygriller
    Options
    The "grid" is only a month and a half old. What is the warranty on accessories?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    If for whatever reason you cannot get your grid replaced under waranty you might want to check out www.cast-iron-grate.com :) These units aren't cheap, but they are more versitile than a solid grid, especially w/ the griddle insert. I have two of them, both over a year old, and no problems. I use them all the time ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Warranty is a year. You should be good.

Til the next one cracks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    either that or make one yourself. This one of mine is now 9 years old and not one crack! Reason is the metal can expand. BTW I use it in my small 100% of the time.
    IMG_00851.jpg
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Sometimes it cracks perfectly...

castiron.jpg
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    So now I debate...do I want to buy one of these? Seems like a waste of money. What is the benefit of CI?
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • RRP
    Options
    Personally I'm a BIG fan of my cast iron in my small and never will go back to the OE wire rod one. OTOH this subject remains to be a 50-50 thing here meaning either you love it or you don't! Since you seem to already be opposed then my suggestion to you is don't buy one! ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
    It's a purist thang. :laugh: :) You don't HAVE to have one.But they ROCK! :woohoo: