Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet Rib Drippings

Options
JCO
JCO Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made baby back ribs using the Honey recipe from "Serious Barbecue". The ribs turned out great, the layers of spices were very delicious.

After the foil step, there were a lot of drippings combined with honey and I hated to throw it away, so I removed the fat and saved it in the freezer.

Does any one have any ideas what to do with it? Maybe some kind of sauce for pork loins?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have used the drippings including fat when making rice in a rice cooker. It is a great seasoning and the flavor enhances the rice.
  • JCO
    Options
    I'm not sure these would work on rice. It is very sweet. The recipe called for a bunch of brown sugar and honey during the foiled part. That's why I can't figure out what to do with it.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi JCO

HERE is my last rib cook. I serve the sauce that forms in the foil with the ribs. I have been saucing my ribs at the table and find that the combination of the BBQ sauce and the sauce from foiling make an outstanding combination. For a BBQ sauce I have been mixing Blues Hog BBQ Sauce and Sonny's which is a good basic sweet sauce and it makes a great combination. When used sparingly with the sauce from foiling it is wonderful. I cook plenty of ribs when I do and have plenty left over. I freeze the left overs in serving sized packages, each one getting it's share of the foiling sauce. If chilled over night before putting up to freeze that sauce will turn to a jello like consistency and is easier to handle. They reheat beautifully in the microwave and have that sauce already with them.

HERE is a post by Judy on that same subject.

Try real maple syrup (if you like it) some time instead of honey, it is very good! :)

Blair

• JCO
    Options
    Thanks!

I think that this is what I was looking for. I will try mixing it with some butter and little bit of BBQ sauce and pour it over a grilled pork loin and see how it goes.

I'll post the results when it happens.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Great, it sounds delicious! :)

Blair

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i use it to make bbq sauce for the very same ribs the juice came from
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante