Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yesterday's Spatchcock Turkey

Options
Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As my wife always works the big day, we normally do a Turkey on Friday...post the craziness of Black Friday shopping.

We left the house yesterday at 3amEST...I'm not a shopper, especially the malls, so I'm pretty much the designated driver. I do however go inside at the Lehigh Valley Mall in Allentown, PA. They've got a very cool German bar/restaurant named Dunderbak's. Awesome brew selection and great food as well. Not the norm for 'malls' here in our neck of the woods. My 10am I'd had a few Spatens and ended up back out in the car for a power nap. The girls always question why I don't mind waking up to drive them...well; Dunderbak's isn't hurting their cause. I highly recommend it if you're in the area and somehow in the Mall. :whistle:

I wanted to try a Spatchcock Turkey, after seeing it at Fred's TurkeyFest a few weeks back. We love Max's method, but I figured I'd try something new.

Sat the spatched bird in a Cranberry/Southern Comfort Brine. Then patted dry, rubbed with olive oil and rubbed with Tasty Licks Traditional Turkey (another great one from Fred and Tasty Licks!).

Indirect at 375 for just under 2 hours. The breast/thighs cooked very uniformly to their respective proper temps.

Also really enjoyed some of the underside meat 'chunks', which had a nice bark. Very tasty.

Overall, nice charcoal flavor throughout the bird. We liked the brine and the meat was very moist. (but I've been putting everything from turkey to chicken wings in brine the last few months, so who knows).

Will be doing this again soon!

IMG_2219.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg
IMG_2227.jpg
IMG_2232.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg
IMG_2236.jpg
IMG_2240.jpg
IMG_2241.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Very nice looking bird. Fowl sure comes out great on the egg. What temperature did you cook the bird to.

I want to make some deli turkey and it looks like spatchcock just might to the trick. I will usually cook the bird to 165° when making deli meat then up to 190° - 200°.

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    That looks good Jason. You have a lot of turkey to eat now. :P Tim
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    That is some beautiful color!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    That is one nice looking bird Jason. :)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like the spatchcocked bird. Very nice...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Nice lookin byrd ;)
  • Fornia
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

What temperature did you cook the bird to.

I want to make some deli turkey and it looks like spatchcock just might to the trick. I will usually cook the bird to 165° when making deli meat then up to 190° - 200°.

GG

Funny you should ask... Got caught on the phone with DirecTV (whole other story! :angry: ), and went out to check bird. It was 190 in thigh and 167 in breast.

Still real, real juciy...credit to the Egg and brine?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks great Jason. What flavor wood did you use, if any.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fornia
    Options
    Thanks Molly!

Didn't actually add any wood....just lump mix of RO and Restaurant Blend (blue bag).

Had a great taste really...and you can't beat the time (less than 2 hr.)!