Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at venison summer sausage

Options
Pepper Monkey BBQ
Pepper Monkey BBQ Posts: 652
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been laid up due to a broken ankle so it's allowed some time for cooking experiments. A friend from work trades us venison for coffee we import from seattle and recently we acquired 16 lbs of trimmed and cubed meat. I also had a pork butt in the freezer so it only seemed natural to turn it into summer sausage! We've made sausage before, but never summer sausage, and never this much at once. We ended up with 25 lbs of meat. I used seasonings from Butcher and Packer Supply Company and then we added jalepeno flakes to a few logs, and chipotle flakes to a few logs, and left the remainder with only the butcher and packer seasoning. It came out great. fit them all into the XL and smoked with apple wood.

VenisonSummerSausage1.jpg
Pork but prepped and ready for grinding. Have learned a good food processor gives us a better grind that our kitchenaid meat grinder, and it's WAY faster.

VenisonSummerSausage2.jpg
8 of 16 lbs of cubed venison ready for the grind.

VenisonSummerSausage3.jpg
25 lbs of meat ready for seasoning.

VenisonSummerSausage4.jpg
Smoke on! Smoked at 110 deg for an hour, then 130, then 150, finished at 200 deg. Took approximately 7 hrs to reach internal of 160.

Comments