Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max - need your help ASAP!

Options
Eggsellent
Eggsellent Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Max,[p]Check your email if you can. My sister is roasting chestnuts right now and we have a question...[p]She's at the peeling part of her cook and some of the chestnuts have brown spots. Is this similar to a walnut spot, or are they bad? We don't think it's mold - just spots. There were a few in the batch that had mold, but from what we hear that is pretty normal (and we did throw those away). Anyway, I emailed you some pictures of the spotted ones for clarification. Neither of us have ever made chestnuts and we have no idea what they are supposed to look like once peeled.[p]Thanks!
Molly

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I roasted some a few nights ago. Good thing I didn't do them all at once! I roasted for the time and temp I cound find online (~400° for 20 minutes) and used a raised grill. I ended up with little chunks of charcoal.[p]I did a few on the dying embers, after having shut everything down, for some time - less than 20 minutes and less than 400°. While not charcoal, they were dry. What the heck? [p]What *is* the trick to doing these? I never have done them either, but the results certainly aren't what they should be, I KNOW that.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    molly,[p]sorry i missed your email and post last night... . but you'll have this for next time. .. here is a picture of my chestnut set up. .. inverted plate setter, w/ grid and pizza stone... .dome temp at 425.. .slit chestnuts on the stone for 20 minutes. ..they come out after peeling nice and soft and tender, with just an awsome aroma (and i don't add any wood to the lump). . ..unless it was obvious mold, i would have used the ones with little brown spots. . .i always do a few more than i really need cause i do end up pitching a couple of funky ones. . .[p]DSCN0647.jpg[p]sorry for not responding faster, but i'm sure you did fine. .. [p]btw. .how are you going to use them??[p]best[p]max
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thank you so much! They turned out great (even the brown spotted ones). Appreciate the help!