Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

La Bomba in Chicago?

Options
Di
Di Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did anyone ever find La Bomba in Chicago? Will be making a trip there soon and thought I would check.

Comments

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Yes, it is there. Let me see if I can find the info for you.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Bruce, Will you post it here please?
    Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Of course...still searching...
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I think it's Greco Imports of Chicago and I think it's pick up only and I would certainly call ahead. The number is 630-221-1001 and the web site is http://www.grecoimports.com/index.html

Good luck!

Bruce
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    MissippiEgger had some shipped home to Missippi.Send him an email. :)
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Where will you be visiting? Greco Imports is out in the western suburbs, in Carol Stream, and isn't really near the city. If you're visiting downtown, it will be a haul.

You'll also need a business account. There's an egghead who has helped me out in the past. I don't want to speak for her, but if it's convenient for you to come out to Greco to pick up the goods, I can email her and put in a good word for you.

You'll need to buy by the case. Alternatively, if you're up for a real drive out from the city, I'm out in Aurora (practically as far west as you can go and still be in the "suburbs"), and might be able to spare a bottle or two.
  • Di
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I will be in Oak Brook on business and was hoping for a retail location to pick up a few jars.

I will be back in the downtown area in February. My alternative is to call and order a case which for me is a big quantity to consume.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Oak Brook is pretty near Carol Stream, if you've got a car, and aren't taxi/limoing it for the week. Oak Brook is also rather close to where I work. If you want to arrange a meeting point, I'm sure I could pass along a couple jars.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    Ben, late this summer Tim (Dirty Burger) said he finally got some merchant near him to stock it from Greco. OTOH normal mark up from wholesale like you were able to buy it for me to retail will make it $12 to $13 a jar so kinda rich for most people!

Maybe we can get Tim out of the classroom to tell us more.

PS my guard dogs protecting my stash...
    IMG_1252.jpg
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    And Tim is way down on the south side. Long drive from Oakbrook. Plus, if Di went down there, she'd risk running into El Dirty. :evil:
  • RRP
    Options
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Actualy last summer I purchased a couple of cases of La Bomba while passing through Vancouver, BC, then sealed them in ziplocks, carefully wrapped and stuffed in my checked luggage. Only a couple leaked in the baggies and only one leaked a little into the suitcase.
    Have yet to be able to get Greco to cooperate in shipping to a local grocery or foodie store. :(
  • RRP
    Options
    In addition to jumping through the hoops of needing a business account, plus buying by the case of 12 only it also has to be in cash - right? No checks or cards accepted...and in addition to all those conditions they may not even have any in stock - right?
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    True, true and true. They're not a retail outfit. And while they keep saying that they're getting more and more requests for Bomba, it's pretty clear that their volumes are peanuts compared to other products. Not exactly a high priority for them, I'd imagine.
  • Di
    Options
    I won't have a car and will be staying at the Marriott Oak Brook Resort. Is that close to where you work?
    I'll be arriving on Tuesday, November 30 around 4:00PM. My meeting starts the next day. I could easily take a taxi to a meeting spot that will be convenient for you.

It's very sweet of you to offer.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    You have email.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    So I just wrote all of this and realized that I will not be in town when you are around. So therefore I cannot really help you. Next time!
    tim

Di
    I can get Bomba from my guy for like $9 a bottle. I also have a business account but have not registered with Greco so I could try and get you a case if you wanted a case at a much cheaper price. I have no problem with leaving the wonderful south side and driving up to Oak Brook, it is only like 25 minutes from me on a good day.

Let me know, I would have no problem doing whatever I can to help you out.

Drop me a line
    timmyshitz@yahoo.com
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I was busy educating the youth so I did not have a chance to reply. Nice crack about running into me. You wish you ran into me more often, I make your eggfests. Sorry I get all grabby, but you are just a dreamboat. Want to play hide the pearl's?