Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a Beef & Venison Jerky recipe

Options
Primeggister1
Primeggister1 Posts: 379
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to smoke some jerky this weekend. Any tips with the temp and smoke would be great. Spice is under control but if you got that too I will compare.

And the one question is do you have to use a curing salt and let it sit over night in the fridge before smoking?

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I've had very good luck with High Mountain Seasonings jerky cure.

http://www.himtnjerky.com/
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Like Jeff said, get some Hi-Mountain cure and follow their directions. I have never made Jerky, but I use their Buck Board Bacon cure all the time and these folks know what they are talking about.
    Bass Pro and other outdoor stores carry their products or you can order direct :)
    Hope this helps ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This is a great recipe. I don't make it but have eaten it a few times over the years.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmoking/coldsmokejerky.htm
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Frank, if you like jerky, give the High Mountain Cajun a try. Use an eye of round, sliced about 1/4 inch thick. Smoke at just under 200 degrees until mostly dry. It's just as successful as their Buckboard Bacon. Father-in-law, Brother-in-law and nephews ask for it at every family gathering.
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will be cooking this weekend.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    this is the easiest method for a first try at jerkey, its called the mound method. if you can hold temps at 145 you can just hang the jrkey from a raised rack but if you have difficulty doing this the mound method is more forgiving. the recipe is a good base to play with, its good enough that i havent needed to look for a different recipe, i just change the sugars or heat to fit my needs. this recipe can be found in wiseones cook book on the naked whiz site, there are a few versions of it out there.

Gfw’s River City Jerky
    Submitted by Gfw
    Recipe not mine, but from a friend named Ken.
    Philosophy: Experiment... Measure Nothing... Season until it tastes good!
    Ingredients:
    Ÿ 3-5LB beef brisket sliced thin (1/8” or so) with the grain
    Ÿ 1 cup Soy Sauce
    Ÿ ¾ cup Brown Sugar
    Ÿ ¼ cup Dark Molasses
    Ÿ 1 tsp Onion Powder (or to taste)
    Ÿ 1 tsp Garlic Powder (or to taste - don't use fresh garlic - it will make the jerky bitter)
    Ÿ 1 tsp Black Pepper (or to taste)
    Ÿ Dried Chilies Arbol chilies are my personal choice - cayenne are OK - avoid hot sauce
    because of the vinegar
    Directions:
    Ÿ Marinade the beef (3-5 lbs sliced thin) at least 1 hour. I typically do it (12 hours) overnight.
    Ÿ Smoke over low heat (dome temperature 160 to 180 degrees) until desired texture. It may take 12
    or more hours. Turn it every couple of hours.
    Ÿ The strips of beef are placed on the grill to create the mound - the grill is preheated to 160-180
    using firebricks and drip pan - I let the mound cook for about 1¼ hours and flip the whole thing
    using a 2nd grid - then it cooks for another hour - after 2¼ hours I'll take it off the grill and start to
    separate all the pieces from the mound - as the day progresses, I'll use a pair of tongs to turn the
    jerky about every hour and make sure that all the pieces get rotated.
    A lot of work for something that doesn't last very long -- not because it won't keep, but it tastes
    so good! Try the marinade recipes on the following page as well.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it