Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to try out my new-found custom butcher

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a weakness for pork rinds. If I open a bag, they're history. A nearby amusement park (Silver Dollar City) makes them fresh on the street. It's the first place I stop every time we go. If I ate more of them, I would call it an addiction, but since I only let myself have one or two bags a month, I consider myself under control.

Now, I've found a recipe that combines two of my favorite foods in the whole world into one dish...pork shoulder with the cracklins still attached! Brilliant! Time to make a trip to Horrman's Processing and talk to them about cutting me a shoulder with the skin left on.

Recipe:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/bone-in-shoulder-roast

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    So are you looking for cracklins or rinds?

Cracklins are hard and dense, rinds are airy and puffy. Similar, yet distinctly different. You won't get rinds by cooking the skin attached to the roast.
  • jeffinsgf
    I realize the skin on the roast isn't going to be a Baken-et brand pork rind.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Around here they are called chicharrons, Light and fluffy and delicious!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    they sell the picnics here with the skin still on, only the butt is skinned.

by the way, i think fidel thought you meant that you wer happy to have pork rinds on your final product (by following the recipe). ...not sticking up for him, but i kinda thought that's what you meant too. :unsure:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I didn't mean to offend you, but you said pork rinds and cracklins. A lot of people are unaware that they are different things.

My apologies for being presumptuous and trying to help you avoid potential disappointment.
  • jeffinsgf
    Yeah, I've got a place I'm pretty sure will leave it on for me.

As for Fidel's comment, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the first person to use the terms interchangeably. The cracklins I've had are certainly different from packaged pork rinds, but in the same family. Scored and salted skin that is roasted at 425 degrees isn't going to be the same as deep fried separated skin, but I'm thinking it will qualify as Good Eats.

I might even break down and get out the camera and document the cook.
  • jeffinsgf
    No offense taken. From what I've discovered with a little Googling is that the difference is commercially produced pork rinds have the fat completely rendered off before frying, while cracklins are the pork fat and skin both fried. Other people make the distinction that cracklins are cooked and served hot, while the pork rind snack food is served cold. It appears the rendering distinction is the more widely accepted, at least in the U.S., as several companies sell both pork rinds and cracklins bagged.

The recipe is from an Englishman, where "crackling" describes the skin cooked on a pork roast, according to him (Jamie Oliver) and Wikipedia.