Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Chemical Eggineer
Chemical Eggineer Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I've got a few BB's under my belt now as well as several other cooks. Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me out when I had questions. The butts especially have turned out excellent pretty much every time. I'm completely sold on the BGE. My only complaint is that the butts do tend to end up with a lot of fat still left in the meat. Are there any techniques for reducing the fat content in the finished product? I don't trim the fat from the bottom of the butt prior to cooking, and I cook at 250 grill temp until 195 internal. I use the standard inverted PS with drip pan setup.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    It depends on the butt and amount of fat. They will all have a certain amount that needs to be removed after cooking. I generally try to trim as much from the top and sides prior to cooking. That may help you some.

Your other option is to lower the cooking temp and increase the cooking time. This may keep you in the plateau longer and render more fat out.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    You can always part out/butterfly the meat and cut away some fat on the inside. It's probably not worth it though. I usually cut down the entire fat cap on mine because it's of no use and takes longer to cook
  • Chemical Eggineer
    Options
    Removing the fat cap pre-cook and cooking lower and slower are both good ideas. I was planning to try both of those on my next cook anyway, so we'll see how that goes. I know that some fat will be left in the meat regardless.