Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SSN686 Sausage/Cheese Bread Roll...wow!

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made this for breakfast this morning. What can I say? It is simply wonderful. My family really enjoyed it. We all ate far too much. I just woke up from my nap.

I used a Kroger Homestyle frozen bread loaf (5 to a pack) and Jimmy Dean maple flavor sausage. I had a little trouble getting the bread to roll out to a 12x15 square. The finished roll didn't quite make it all the way around the bundt pan, so I just sort of pinched off the ends. It was still wonderful. Maybe next time I need to let the dough sit at room temp longer.

I was a little concerned about too much smoke flavor and my plate setter was kinda grimy lookin', so I let the egg go full blast for about 40 minutes prior to putting on the dough. I cooked it closer to 450 (got tired of waiting for the egg to cool down) for about 30 minutes and it came out perfect.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    That looks good, the bread crust looks perfect!!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    The first time I did the roll, I also used a frozen bread product. I had the same issue. I'd roll and it would shrink back. Letting warm longer helps a bunch!
    I agree, it is very tasty!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    nice......bookmarked
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morninig SmokeyPitt:

Glad you enjoyed the Sausage/Cheese roll...it has been a favorite at our house for years.

Letting the dough warm/thaw a bit more will probably let with the rolling out...we have the same problem occasionally.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks Jay. I have 4 more left in the pack so I will certainly try again :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    Wow, this looks so good. Going to make a few of these for the day after thanksgiving breakfast for all the family!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    That just looks fantastic. I am definitely going to try this. Have you experimented with other meats? I am trying to think of how you could incorporate pulled pork (w/sauce), or buffalo chicken somehow without letting the dough get too soggy.

Does the roll get rolled like a cinnamon roll where some of the dough is in the center? Or is the dough only on the outer layer?