Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Pizza Crust

MemphisQue
MemphisQue Posts: 610
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try my first pizza but was curious on recommendations for the type or brand of pizza crust I should use

Thanks

Comments

• johnl350
    johnl350 Posts: 125
    The first pizza i cooked i used Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry and it was awesome. I highly recommend the puff pasty although i havent tried anything else.

pizza4.jpg

pizza6.jpg
  • We have had very good luck with Mama Mary's crusts. They are at Kroger in our area.
  • I'll have to check Kroger out - there is one down the street from me
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Pizza crust is a pretty personal thing - how do you like your crust?
    New Orleans LA
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I have tried all kinds of different ways:
    1. Packaged crusts - "Boboli" or "Mama Mia's" or even Kroger's private brand have all worked. Advantage is that it is simple, does not stick and taste pretty good.
    2. Packaged pizza crust dough - Pillsbury make a pizza dough in a tube. It comes out square but you can remold it to a 12" crust if you wish. Convenient and pretty good flavor.
    3. Purchased dough - Public's grocery stores will sell you a ball of pizza dough. It's pretty eleastic so rolling it out can be dificult.
    4. Do-it-yourself packages - there are several (martha White, Kroger) peope who put out a package to make your own dough. All you add is water and it's pretty quick. It literally takes 2 minutes to mix up and then about 10 minutes to let rise. I place a sheet of non-stick aluminum foil in a 12" pan and then spread it out with my hands. Works well.
    5. Make your own dough - there are numerou recipes out there for making your own pizza dough. Once you get into it, it's not really that difficult but does take a bit more time. Flipping it in the air is optional and something I have omitted from my process to date.

Any of these methods work and you will have great results with all of them. I like to add a little Italian seasoning to the crust if I can. Obviously the premade crusts cannot incorproate it into the dough but all the others can.
  • Has anyone tried or have any thoughts on Trader Joe's pizza dough?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I tried the TJ dough once. It was wheat dough, and it was pretty darn good. I thought their pizza sauce was great. I want to try it again (with white dough this time...c'mon wife...carbs are carbs).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Try this link from Large Marge
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=962440&catid=1

Zippylip also has a great slideshow but I couldn't find it
  • I use TJ dough white and wheat. I prefer the white. It's what I always use.
  • Forget store bought pizza dough! There is absolutely NO REASON for you not to make your own. It is MUCH, MUCH cheaper, the results are just as good or better, and you'll feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction for having "rolled you own" (no pun untended).

Try "No Mixer Pizza Dough" by Large Marge in the recipe section of the forum. I've used it a few of times, it is super easy and gives great results.

Be sure to let it do the slow ferment in the fridge for best results. I also used BREAD FLOUR as opposed to All Purpose. One other tip: just before adding any ingredients, LIGHTLY OIL (EVOO) the entire TOP of the dough to create a MOISTURE BARRIER between the dough and the ingredients... this will keep your dough from getting soggy and promote a good "oven spring".

Here are the results I got:

wpb_pizza.20100929.jpg

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1212
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    There are many good pizza dough recipes. Dough= flour + water + yeast + salt. Sugar and oil are common ingredients as well. It is the proportion of them, fermenting time, and the mixing that determines the crust. Plus some other things.
    So how does someone decide on a dough recipe? First is deciding what type of dough you like. Some like thicker,soft crust like a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza. Some may like a crust similar to Pappa Johns. Some like a very thin, tough, chewy crust from a pizza shop. I perfer the later and have a good recipe for it.
    If you are serious about making pizza dough, get a scale to weigh the ingredients. In my opinion, it is the only way to make consistant dough. A scale can be bought for under $30 (50 pizza's a year over a period of 10 years adds 6 cents to the dough). Dough can be freezed without any issues. I usally make enough dough for 3-4 pizza's.
    I have never tried dough from a grocery store. I assume they're Ok or people would not buy it, but you are stuck on making a pizza that their dough was designed for.
    I consider myself finanially handicapped. The local pizza place charges about $12-13 for a two topping pizza. While there are other places that are less expensive, it is the only place I will buy from. I can make 6-8 pizza's for that price and my pizza is the second best in the area.
  • I prefer a fairly thin crust
  • Thanks for the replies. Will try out my first Egg pizza this weekend.