Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal consumption

sbmfj
sbmfj Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

Built up my large BGE last week, and it has been great. Filled up the charcoal just past those holes, and have managed to get 4 cooks out of it, and this included spatchcock chick going at 350 for an hour. I remember reading on these forums, that some people said there charcoal would last a long time, like 10 cooks if I recall correctly. So this has me wondering about my seal? I performed the dollar bill test, and it seemed pretty good. It wasn't even all the way around, but again I reads this is very hard to do; I managed to get a pretty good seal IMO. But now, as I have 'only' gotten 4-5 cooks, Im wondering if perhaps my seal isn't tight enough, therefore when I 'shut her down' and close all the vents, that perhaps air will keep flowing through the cracks (the gasket area), therefore keeping the fire going, and using more charcoal for nothing...

Here are the 4 cooks I did..

1 - Ran it for 45 min at 400 just to test her out
2 - Burgers - 30min
3 - Spatchcock chicken - 1h10mins @ 350
4 - Pizza, let it warm up at 500 ish for 40, then 25 for the pizza

I have a little bit of charcoal left. Does this seem like regular consumption to you guys?

And say I do have to reset the dome for a better fit. My long bolts are krooked, wont this be a mess to loosen up, and could the bolts not break? Then I'm super screwed!!

Thanks, happy Sunday all!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    sounds like you did good, especially with the pizza cook in there, the high temps eat lump quickly. most seem to fill higher into the ring so they may get more cooks in but what your cooking makes the biggest difference in consumption, the higher temps just eat more lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman is right. All things considered, you got fairly good cooking time out of that lump. Given egual amounts of lump, you will burn through it exponentially faster at higher temperatures. For example, if a full load of lump(up to the fire ring)would last you 30 hours at 250 degrees, that same load of lump might only last you 5 hours(1/6 of the time)at 500 degrees(only double the temperature). The times, temps and amount of lump used in my example are purely demonstrative, but that's how it works. Even though I love pizzas done on the egg, I always grouse about how much lump pizza baking burns up...... :laugh:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I do not count the number of cooks I get on a load.

If your seal is good enough to smother the fire, it is good enough.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    As far as your gasket seal is concerned, it doesn't matter. If you want to cook at 400°, for example, you need x amount of airflow. Whether that air is coming from the vents or a leaky gasket is immaterial. In other words, if you had an absolutely perfect gasket seal, in order to maintain 400, you'd have to open a vent just a hair more than you would if the gasket leaked.

As for lump usage, I really don't pay much attention. I usually just add a bit more if needed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I would consider that "above average".

Bill
  • After a while you will be like everyone else.....give it time.

What this means is this: you will have stockpiles of lump.
    It will be in your outbuilding, your spare bedroom, your garage,
    in old kitty litter buckets outside by your egg (more likely your
    eggs....b-cause you'll probably get another 1) and the only worry
    you will have is when you get down to 5 or 6 bags of lump.

I got 260 llbs of lump at my place, just for me. Low, med, high, it
    doesn't matter. Go have fun my new egg brother. :lol:
  • Try dumping in a 10 lb bag with the firebox empty. This is what I consider a full load.

It will burn for a lot of cooks. I have done low and slow for 10 or more hours and still have gotten 4-6 "normal" cooks after that.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Jan OMG you hit the nail on the head. I have nightmares about the world running out of lump :(
    I don't even think about how much lump I use now, but when I first started egging it was a very diffrent story.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Metalhead wrote:
    After a while you will be like everyone else.....give it time.

What this means is this: you will have stockpiles of lump.
    It will be in your outbuilding, your spare bedroom, your garage,
    in old kitty litter buckets outside by your egg (more likely your
    eggs....b-cause you'll probably get another 1) and the only worry
    you will have is when you get down to 5 or 6 bags of lump.

I got 260 llbs of lump at my place, just for me. Low, med, high, it
    doesn't matter. Go have fun my new egg brother. :lol:

I don't feel so bad now with just 132 pounds on hand. :) I just top off to the top of the fire ring each time I cook and let her rip.
  • I start having cold sweats and palpitations when I have less than 200 lbs. on hand. :laugh:
    105-0502_IMG.jpg
    105-0501_IMG.jpg
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    You, my dear brother, are a freak! :laugh:
  • :ohmy: :woohoo: :blink:
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    as the others said, sounds like you are doing fine,probqably better than "average".
    I dont really keep track of it either, my "pre egg" cooking was on a weber kettle and offset smoker, I am using a fraction of the lump I used back then, so it's all good!!
  • sbmfj
    sbmfj Posts: 37
    Thanks for the responses guys, you're all awesome!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    sbmfj, based on your detailed description I think you did well in the lump consumption department.

If you want to snuff out the fire even sooner, try lining the inner rim of the ceramic cap with left over gasket material or scrap of thick felt from any fabric store ...
    IMG_6777.jpg

If you don't have enough clearance around the rim for the cap to fit (do a dry run first), line the underside instead ...
    IMG_6776.jpg

Gary
    canuckland
  • sbmfj wrote:

And say I do have to reset the dome for a better fit. My long bolts are krooked, wont this be a mess to loosen up, and could the bolts not break? Then I'm super screwed!!

Those bolts are supposed to be bent during installation indicating that the bands are about right. They can be re-used, or you can get new bolts at the hardware store.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    To me....moot point.I buy it by the pallet. ;)