Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerked Jerky

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Still have a batch of sliced sirloin tip ready to marinate for another batch of jerky. Was gonna try the Thai jerky recipe that was posted a couple weeks ago, but now that I am marinating one of tonites tenderloins in Walkerswood Jerk sauce, it smells so good I was thinking of making sme jerked jerky![p]Does that sound crazy?? Or might the jerk sauce make a nice addition to a jerky recipe??? I noticed that "beef" was not mentioned on the label where they list good jerking meats.[p]Am I nuts??[p]NB[p]
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I have not done jerked jerky. However I have done Jamican Jerked Beef. Its flavorful and tasty. The Walkerwood Jerk Seasoning Is about as authenic as you can buy already prepared.[p]I have mixed 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. walkerwood, 2-3 Tbls butter, little lemom juice, 1 TBLs brown sugar, dash white wine. I tried on grilled Plantains (not good because they were not ripe). Will try again on Plantains and Banannas. I will also try on fish as I think the tartness, sweetness and heat will all marry well for a unique tropical fish dish. A dash of orang juice would also be interesting instead of lemon.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Grillin Bill,
    By rights, Plantains should be green when cooked. Fry them up like you would Fried Potatoes and serve them a side dish to Jerk. They make a nice addition.[p]A quick note on Wet Jerk Rubs, try Eaton’s or Mrs. Dogs when you get a chance.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk [p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Yes, you are totally nuts. As about as whacked out as I am.
    I have always wanted to make Jerked Beef, but just have not had the time.[p]Since you are in the mood to make Jerk. Try Jerked Pulled Pork. With some advanced planning, you could leave the rub on the Boston Butt for the required two days before cooking. Then smoke as you normally would over a fruitwood[p]By the way, I did take the time to read through the current issue of Cooks Illustrated. It is packed with some great information. I especially liked the Beef Grading Article.[p]Happy Jerking,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I have faith in you - the batch you did last (and gave me a taste of the other day) was really good. It just needed the last 5% of the moisture in it removed. I think it would last longer that way too.[p]Tim

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Grillin Bill,
    Another way to make plantains is to peel them and cut them up about 1/2 inch thick. Soak plantains in salt water for an hour; pat dry.[p]Deep fry in oil until golden, turning once. Transfer to paper towels to drain. When cool enough to handle, flatten rounds to 1/4" thick. Soak in salt water again for a few minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Pat dry.[p]Deep fry in oil again until crisp (not hard), a minute or two. Serve hot with sweet and sour dipping sauce.[p]These are called Tostones in Puerto Rico and make a great appetizer or are even good as a side vegetable.
    JimW