Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THANKSGIVING Turkey!!

Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a round turkey breast from Costco. Is is wrapped in a net to keep it together (I think?)

I have used these turkey breasts to deep fry prior to me purchasing the BGE.

Can anyone give me direction on how to cook one of these on the egg? I do have the plate setter. Do i rub it like I would a pork butt?

Any help would be great. Thanks and have a great day

In His Grasp!

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Just follow the instructions on the package and cook it the same way on the egg. Season how you like.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Beats me, but I'm about to try it tonight. I have a small one (about 2.5 lbs) and I am cooking it raised direct at 350°. Probably a little hot, but that's the temp I need for my candied acorn squash which are already on the egg.

Will spread softened butter on the breast, along with S&P and herbes de Provence. Planning to cook to 165-170°.

We'll see.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Well, the turkey breast was terrific!! I used evoo instead of butter though. The squash was done before the turkey breast, so I threw it in a very lo oven to keep it warm while the turkey finished). Was still good.

Anyway, raised (gasket level) direct. 350°. Pulled at 170°. Very moist and tasty!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    actually Michael 170 was a bit on the high side and then of course the internal temp increased at least another 5° just sitting there waiting to be cut. You might want to pull off your egg when it hits 163° to prevent drying out since the breast is one compact chunk of meat. We much prefer just egging breasts for TD and for other times of the year. I have two in the freezer right now and will probably stock up another 2 or 3 when they go on sale.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    hahaha! I cook everything to temp... +/- 10-20°!! Seriously - I never get it right! Turkey was good though. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I guess I am still a little confused? I want to smoke the breast and have some questions:

1. How do I prepare it? rub? injection? what?

2. Egg temp?

3. What is the internal temp of the meat when it is done?

Thanks
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Raised grid, direct, 300*. Careful with smoking wood! Turkey/chicken will soak it up. Try milder wood like apple, pecan, or cherry. I rub mine w/ olive oil and season it w/ Montreal Steak seasoning. There are better rubs out there (See Dizzy Pig rubs), but I bought a huge jar of it a while ago and still haven't finished it. Pretty peppery, but goes well w/ turkey breast. Follow RRP's advice and pull earlier (check w/ Thermapen or keep a probe in the thickest part). While resting before carving it will rise to the proper temp and maintain moistness.
  • thanks Buxwheat - but I have a couple follow-up questions for you

1. So no plate setter?

2. How do I raise the grill if I don't use the plate setter?

3. I have a thermapen - what is the temp at which i should pull it?

4. I have bad Byron's Butt Rub - do you think that will work?

Thanks
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Sorry for not responding sooner. Go direct, no plate setter. As for raised grid, I use an Adjustable Grid from Ceramic Grill Store, but you can make your own raised grid. Run a search for "Raised Grid", folks have made these using their own grid and some nuts, bolts, and washers from the hardware store. As for temp to shoot for before pulling, about 155-160 will do. Never tried Bad Byron's on turkey before. If you try it, let us know how it turns out.