Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en: Cast iron pizza, sticks &Hossa.

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yea Yea I know I got to make my own doe and I will...but not tonight. ;) The raws:
11-1-2010012.jpg

I took Auron to upper class dogie day care today. Big sucker doesn't have any dog friends to play with as most people are scared to let him play with there dog. I know the owner and he lets 4 Boston Terriers, a 30 lb. mix breed and a 4 month old lab female out in the kennel exersise yard all at once with Auron. To many dogs at once for him to dominate but they are not so big that they can pile on and hurt him eather. A great time for them all. When I got home a package several packages were waiting for me. There is a dream of bill, Becca and mine that we could eat at Nobu at least 3 times a week. http://noburestaurants.com/new-york/experience/introduction/ Unfortuanlly we got to win the lottery to afford it even if 2 out of three of us has is a Doc!LOL. Becca sent a Lotto voodo candle to light to try and increase our odds!! :laugh:
La Hossa also showed. Having been pre warned I sampled it straight up on a Frito.
11-1-2010002-1.jpg

I must say, and this is a complement, it was just like Goldilocks portrage...just right. I had expected it to be like liquid fire but althought hot it was not over powering. Really "just right". Hoss time to go into busness and THANKS!! :whistle:

Pizza in the cast at 425 till brown on top. I looked at crust on the bottom and it was deep brown but would have burned if I had not filled sink with 1 1/2 inch cold water and placed the cast iron in it after cooking. Ended up perfect.
11-1-2010015.jpg

11-1-2010014-2.jpg

11-1-2010017-2.jpg

After his "play day" Auron was beat. :whistle:
11-1-2010019.jpg

Some bread sticks while the Egg was hot.
11-1-2010022.jpg

Home Depot had all there Maples on sale 50% off Snagged this Lion Heart Lace leaf for $40. Will make a nice specimen tree I think.
11-1-2010009-1.jpg

A nice easy cook.
11-1-2010023-1.jpg

On a serious note, I regret to to say my dear old friend Richard David Swilley died yesterday. Richard and I grew up as small kids in the old Hood togeather till we were about 13 years old. We built forts, tree houses and such, even taught me how to ride on two wheels. Like a lot of folks we lost track and after 30 years I found him again. Unfortunately in a nursing home. He had been on full diolisies for 10 years due to diabetics, only 25% eyesight left in one eye and blind in the other due to cataracts and double by pass this last winter. Still had a better outlook than most of us. He had been really big into CB radios as a kid and I found it humerous that after 30 years and in a nursing home he had a ham base station, Call Letters N5HXQ, and was one of only 2 or 3 people that had the Space Shuttle radio frequency legally to contact in an emergency. I visited him for the first time after all the years about a month ago and with only a few phrases we both would understand the meaning of his face lite up as he said my name. I had found out about him from an artical in the local paper about his base station in the nursing home. Week before last I "smuggled" some ribs off the Egg into his room under my coat. Course it was against the rules but what are old friends for?!! :) Was going to bring him out to the Smoke Shack next week. Wife found the obit in the paper tonight. God speed my old friend, Deane

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    The pizza looks good. I am sorry about your friend,I am glad your ot back in touch with him, youve reminded me of some things I need to move around on my "to do" list.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Food and Auron look great JL. I need to thank the Hossman also, what a surprise to find it in the mail. Wife thought of hiding it on me :angry:
    Really sorry for the loss of your old friend.
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Sorry about your friend, but it's wonderful that you were able to reconnect before he passed away.

Jake is looking fabulous! His colors are so vibrant in this photo.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Nice Pizza! Nice Dog! Not so sure about the parrot ;-)
    Sorry about your friend, glad you got to reconnect for a little while, and sneak him some ribs. I'm sure the connection with an old friend (and the ribs...) made his last days brighter.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Deane, First, I am very sorry for your loss of an old friend.
    Glad to hear that Auron has some buddies to hang and learn from!
    Really nice looking cooks too!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Deane, First off i'm sorry to hear about your old friend passing. I will say I am proud to have friends that I have known and keep in touch with some 40 plus years. I have also heard of a death in my family today. My Aunt Ester passed and she was my 100 year old Grandma's younger sister. May they rest in piece. Amen

Also, I must say I like your dog Auron. This forum has special qualities I guess because I have grown found of several posters and their pets. ;)

I did not pay much attention to your cook tonight but, I also received some La Hossa and agree it is very good. For me I ate one chip like you did and it went down smooth with a hint of sweet then the heat kicked in and it was more than an hour later my mouth still had the heat feeling to it.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    My sympathies to you in the loss of your friend - what a blessing though to have had the opportunity to reconnect after 30 years! God is good.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Yep. Getting that shed cleaned out isn't near as important sometimes. :huh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Sorry about your Aunt as well. Such is life but some times its not what we would would wish. Between La Hossa, bills Caveman ADP sause, my own fresh peppers in pots as well as bag 'O peppers my friends brought the other night meals have been really "intense"! ;)
  • Great meal, great dog, and most important a great friend you are!

Ross
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    DAMMIT! What a BUMMER!Sorry for the loss,been there ,done that! :(
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    ;) It's workin!!! :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Hoss! ;) Tim
  •  
    Great looking pie Deane and as always the animals look great as well. My condolences for the lose of your friend. It is great that you were able to reconnect with him, I bet it meant a lot to him as well. His battle with diabetes was long and difficult, I know, may he rest in Peace.

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    You know don't you Gator. Cindy's Mother passed at age 73 after having diabetes for 50 some years. She was a fighter yet a real lady.
  •  
    Sorry to hear about Cindy's mom, Tim, it's a 24/7 fight. I didn't know I had it till I had three major heart attacks back in 1995, I had just turned 45. Since then I have had the premature cataracts, sever nerve damage (neuropathy) and my kidneys aren't what they used to be plus other complications but keep on keepin on. You learn to greet every day with a smile and the more smiles you can share the better life is. I never hide my diabetes but would rather have people learn form my experiences. I started donating blood a number of years ago and give every two months, it helps to know I can help others, and that is always good. It helps me keep my head where it belongs. Hearing of one more sever diabetic passing is like hearing about one more comrade at arms that has found their Peace at last. ;)

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    Thanks Blair, You are very kind. Blessings to you, Tim
  •  
    Thanks and Blessings back at ya my friend. Kindness is one of the things Buddha and Christ would have agreed upon but they called it compassion. To them compassion was like algebra to us, you can teach it and you can learn it but not everybody is going to get it. ;)

Did you see the new addition to my signature by Alice Morse Earle? I first heard it the other night while watching the movie "Kung Fu Panda" when Master Oogway said 'Quit. Don't quit. Noodles. Don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was and what will be. There's a saying. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present".' to Po. I loved it and looked up the original. I may have to change my signature to quote Master Oogway, quoting cartoon characters is more my style. :laugh:

Another good one by Foghorn Leghorn from the Bugs Bunny cartoons is "Nice boy, but he's about as sharp as a sack of wet mice!" :laugh:

Blair

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Hi Tim
    Great looking Pizza, very sorry to hear about your friend but it is good that you were able to get togther to say goodbye.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Sorry if I upset you Blair. You know what I mean. You attitude is exemplary. He had much the same. Even in the nursing home in his 40's he was not bitter. Had to laugh at his acceptance of it. Nurse brought his meal in and left. Richard held up the one salt packet in it. Said that was his daily ration. Then with a willy smile he reached under a dresser and pulled out a pill bottle full of salt and said "Contraband" I asked if he wanted me to smuggle him in some more and he said "Thats OK." "When I run low I walk over to the assisted living side caffiteria about 3pm. Thats shift change for the staff and while they are making relief I grab a shaker off the table and fill mine back up!" :laugh: :evil: Said a bottle lasted 6 months and I suppose it was to break the boredom as much as anything but I could see he was doing OK. For some reason I thought of you much younger than you are Blair from your post. Not old and stuff but full of life. Don't ever stop Sir! ;)
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Deane, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your old friend. It is a blessing you reconnected when you did. Diabetes is a very cruel and underestimated disease. Glad you added happiness to his life.

Great looking cook, both Jake and Auron are looking happy & healthy!
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Great looking pie there JL. Auron looks plum tuckered out! Very sorry about the passing of Richard. I have heard him on the radio many times shooting the breaze with the local boys on 75 meters. He was even the net control of the early morning Arkansas net. Really great group of guys who get up way to dang early in the morning. Will be missed by many.
  •  
    Hi Deane, you didn't upset me in the least! I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I was happy you explained about your old friend, it is a great story and will help expose a few more people to the reality of diabetes and why they should pay attention to their blood sugars. Today a simple blood test that is done in seconds and is inexpensive can save many lives. My attitude is a survival tool, LOL, I was born with bad legs and bad hearing and have never been able to run or play sports. Walking and standing for long periods of time has always been a challenge and I have worn hearing aids since I was a kid. I learned at an early age that much of my happiness was dependent on my attitude and thoughts, not on external influences. I learned a lot that I wouldn't have if I was "normal". Your friend had learned some of the same lessons as well. It's pretty simple, you can either live your life in misery or you can live it happy, the choice is mostly yours and life is way to short to spend it miserable. ;)

As for age, LOL, that takes on a new perspective. In about 3 weeks I will be 60!!!!!! Hahahahaha. I think it is a riot! I am delighted and amused that I have lasted so long. I also am not fond of birthdays that end in zero. They are milestones, marking the decades we have under our belts. Part of my saving grace was being born the youngest of four kids. LOL, it's going to be awfully hard to feel old with that crowd ahead of me.

I love the story of the salt, I am a salt addict and would probably be happier with no salt at all then one little packet. I like the way your friend made the best of the situation. These health care providers will strip you of all the qualities of life and replace them with just quantity of life. To live for ever with little enjoyment is a hollow and uneventful life. My best friends Dad died from diabetes complications and for years he would drive into town for his breakfast every morning and every morning he had the same thing. Biscuits and gravy! He was going to have some quality to his life regardless. His son had trouble understanding that. I thought it was a bit much but I understood it. Hahahahaha, can the Sir please, my Dad was a Sir and a Mister, I will never be that formal/old, I save those titles for people I don't like. Let them sweat the details. :laugh:

Today the weather was perfect! Sunny and a high of about 82º. I tackled my bicycle that has been holding down the bushes by my front door for the past two years. I tried to get it running a year ago but one of the valves was bad and I wasn't interested in changing a tire. I put on 50 pounds when I quit smoking and hate it. If I had known I was going to add on that much weight I probably would have never quit. LOL, for some reason the bad valve is no longer bad and so far is holding air. The poor bike had sat for so long the chain was solid rust and I had to use two pairs of pliers and some good oil to loosen up each link. When I got it done it was riding great and with a couple new batteries in the little computer/speedometer it is almost like new. I put about six miles on it this afternoon. I may live for ever yet! :laugh:

I hope I get to meet you and Tim and many others here, I have always enjoyed your posts and cooks on the Big Green Egg. It's to bad your buddy didn't have the extended family that we share here. It is good for the soul.

Blair

P.S. Sorry this got so long and thank God for spell checkers! ;)