Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini / small

golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This has probably been asked a thousand times and I know it depends on what / how I cook. I have had a LBGE for two years and enjoy it thourghly. Cook probably 3-4 times a week on it, typically just for my spouse and I. I think I have talked Santa into either a mini or a small, you know, to save lump. Don't travel with the egg...yet. Opinions on which one?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If travel is not a good reason for a Mini I would hands down rather cook on my Small over my Mini.
    The extra dollar or less in lump the small uses over the mini is not worth the savings. I do own both and find I still take my small over the Mini most of the time even for travel.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • golffer
    Thanks. Kinda what I'm thinking.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I agree with you Darian! In my case my small is my go-to-egg for at least 60% of all my cooks. The 13" diameter grill is simply bigger than the 9.5" of the mini. While that may not sound like much it is!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • golffer
    But small enough to make the difference between small and large worthwile?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Yes, get the Small.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Small. I had a large first, then a mini, then a small. Mini hasn't been used in months; cook mostly now on small and sometimes the large. Just cookin for two.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    It really doesn't matter which one you get, as in a short period of time you will still want the other. :laugh:
    We have the large, small, and the mini. When grilling for just the two of us it is most usually on the mini. It heats up very quickly. We place kabob skewers vertically through the open top. It's not a "toy cooker", it's just,uh...mini. Even though several have posted about how they have managed to low-n-slow an elephant on one, I feel that the small has it all over the mini for this type of cooking.
    Good luck with your choice.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    For years I've been an advocate of the perfect combo being a large and a small. BTW most all of my cooks are also just for the two of us.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Makes no difference. You will like both. In time you will own a mini and a small anyway.
  • Get the small. I have both, and although the mini gets a lot of use, the small does way more. Your going to get both anyway, so I would get the more expensive one since you have permission, and get forgiveness later for buying the mini.
  • I have all three (L,S,Mini). The Mini is a grill. Think of the small is a miniature large. If you think of it this way you will have an easier time making your decision. ;)
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    I just bought a medium and I agree with you. Wish I had gone for a large and paired it with a small. Thinking of putting mine up for sale.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • I got a small to go with the large. You won't regret it, and don't under estimate it for it's cooking ability, I've done a full package of the costco baby backs car wash mikes style and it was as good as when done on my large. If you get one, look into the grill mates. I've taken it camping as well, so it will travel.
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Grill mates do not seem to be available
  • I bought a small to go with my large and i love it, but I recommend giving greater weight to the opinions of those who have both.
  • I bought a small to go with my XL, glad I did. The small is great for cooking for two people, also is small enough to travel with. Haven't used a mini, but think the small is the best choice between the two. Good luck.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Winter's comin'............ B)

4285793773_bfa8641c63_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I am really happy with my Large/Small combo. The small can do everything a large can do, just on a smaller scale. By that I mean it can be set up to smoke a 7# pork butt, it can sear on a cast iron grate at the fire ring level, and then throw the regular grill on at raised height for the roasting stage. And yes it takes a long time to burn up a bag of lump in the small. On the 13" grill I can fit 2 steaks and 2 baked potatoes or ears of corn.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Allen, I didn't know you also had a Large. I've have your paella dehorned for you next week.