Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would like a little advice on first mutli butt cook...

Options
Yazoo
Yazoo Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my egg in July, so I've used it most during the warmer months. It's been a pretty mild fall, but as most of you know, winter just arrived. I'm cooking 3 butts for a company party on Friday, going to start them Thursday. It's been taking just a little more than 2 hours per pound so far. Got any tips for cooking 3 7-8 pounders on a large. I'm not going to use a platesetter, just foil drip pans beneath them, one layer on 2" a raised grid. Temps are going to be low 50s during the day and low 30s at night.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Yazoo,
    If you`re not using a Guru, I would say one of the things that usually guaranteed me an all night burn is to use some kind of rod to poke up through the holes in the charcoal grate before going to bed. This will knock down the majority of the ash and allow for a better burn throughout the night. I have a 1/8 wire that I put a handle on and the end has about a 2" piece ot the wire bent at 90 degrees, it works very well, just stick it in the holes and give a twist or two....others will offer other tips as well..as far as doing 3 butts, it`s no different than doing 1...HTH[p]Wess

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Yazoo,[p]Ditto WessB. I don't own a Guru and Before I go to bed I give the coals a last tickle. Sleep tight. Good luck.
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    WessB,[p]I just wanted to make sure that the expected cook times should stay the same, assuming I can fit 3 8 pounders in it without them being all pushed up agaist each other. If they do crowd each other, how much more time should I expect it to take? Also, how much more charocal consumption should I expect with temps around 30, instead of 50 or 60? I've never run out before, don't want to this time either.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Yazoo,[p]My answer on not running out is filling the egg to within about an inch of the fire ring. As for the extra time for the butts touching, there won't be any. I have a buddy at work that stacks his to make six 8-pound butts at one time, and the cook time is the same.[p]I am considering a bulk cook so I can vacuum seal and freeze some. That way, it'll only take ten minutes next time I have a pulled pork urge instead of 20 hours. LOL
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Mark Backer, Now that's the kind of egger talk I like. That's eggzactly what I do. I'm hooked on pulled pork and when my stash get's low, I do a big overniter to refill my stash. I'm HOOKED I tell ya, HOOKED.