Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT any veterinarians

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
is there an over the counter anti inflammatory med for dogs. my brit woke up unable to get up, looks like both legs so im thinking maybe a pulled back, is better after a day but there still is some pain. was a house dog this weekend so i cant see that he injured himself. seems better after a walk but you have to lift him up to start him in motion firtst thing in the morning. dont think its a hip displatia as he is very limber and mobile
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    baby aspirin. Seriously.

This is what my vet tells me to give our aging dogs.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Fidel,i can do that, would you just give one twice a day at a time or size it up for the bush pig, probably tops 45 pounds.
    fukahwee maine

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Yup, that's what I and pretty much all the guys I hunt with use.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Fish,

It does sound a lot like the symptoms my dog had when she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. She was a pretty hardcore frizbee dog in the off season, up until the vet said no more. We still play, I just keep it at a level she doesn't need to jump for.

Have you been out Grouse'en this year? We are showing banner numbers of Roughed Grouse. It pretty well tops the charts for me, behind the 'girls', pounding those things on the wing in the thick woods. :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i dont hunt, but around here ive never seen more turkeys, they are everywhere. dog has taken to fishin and froggin and keeps the ducks at bay. he has actually caught two bass by himself. is a shame i dont hunt with this dog, born to point and crash bush and loves the sound of a shotgun
    fukahwee maine

• Ripnem
    Options
    Your dog would be a great one to hunt behind, I'm sure. That's half of it, for me, just watching the dogs work. Then once they catch a scent or get 'birdie' and the noses start working double time to the point of snorting and tails are just whippin. :woohoo:
  • MA egger
    Options
    My old lab (11yrs and going strong) gets stiff after walks in the woods, and the vet told me to give him an aspirin coated in Maalox (I think that's the name) as it's easier on the stomach. The brand I get is called Ascriptin, but I don't recall the dosage, but it's the regular tablets for adults.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    careful...my golden blew out both back knees and repeated episodes of this may be a symptom...6000 in knee replacements a few years ago and now she is just an 8 year old with a little arthritis...

huge improvement in quality of life for her...she gets to play with my kids, and although stiff can walk the next morning...

my vet recommended low dose (st. joseph's) aspirin. Careful of the extra strengh stuff, may be too much on the liver....remember they are roughly the weight of a child....
  • fishlessman
    Options
    went home to give an aspirin, looks worse, going in for a visit this afternoon. dog made it up to a sitting position then started shaking, doesnt look good. almost 10 years old and never had a pain in his life
    fukahwee maine

• Serial Griller
    Options
    Good luck at the vet.Dogs are our soul mates! Best friends no matter what.
  • crghc98
    Options
    Good luck....

Had issues with Lyme disease as well which caused inflamation and the she wouldn't move...

Let us know how it turns out.

Chris
  • fishlessman
    Options
    brits are tick magnets too, lots of ticks right now
    fukahwee maine

• Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Getting him to a vet is the best thing. Lots of possibilities, many of which can be fixed. Ticks can actually cause temporary paralysis from antigens in their "saliva", so give him a good once-over.

At doses that have a clinical effect, aspirin will usually upset their stomachs, and given long enough, can cause GI ulceration and perforation. Interpretation that it works is probably from placebo effect or the natural waxing/waning of the problem.

Let us know what you find, good luck.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Good luck fishless; them damn dogs are like family.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Our 7 year old cocker went through something similar this summer, including the shaking/trembling.

Turns out is was his back, a mild dose of veterinary NSAIDs did the trick (Deramaxx).

Hope it's the same with your Brit (I grew up with one, love the breed). If it is, also consider chiropractic/acupuncture/physical therapy. A friend's CKC 15 year old spaniel, with very bad hips and knees, has made remarkable improvement after 5 treatments. I'm considering the same for my Big Blue Dog to help protect his back.

Our pups are so dependent on us. We'll be thinking of your guy, hoping for good news.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Hope things are a little better today.
    My female labX just stopped eating for 5 days.
    Figure it was just a bug cause she is back to eating again.
    Its hard when our pets are hurtin :(
  • fishlessman
    Options
    whats your thoughts on rimadyl, 2 doses of 50 mg per day for a week. looked it up online and it looks horrible, i hate giving drugs to the dogs. most that they could find is maybe he landed wrong on an arthritic leg
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    Shane

It is and it's expensive too. Bear's eyelids were turning inward and irritating his eyes so we had them lasered. About for days after he got the cone off and and pulled the stitches. Vet had to redo the procedure.$$$$

DSCF1204.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• crghc98
    Options
    Had my dog on a lower dose, and eventually pulled her off of that treatment, having the operation to replace her knees instead. Long term I think there are some liver concerns. It works for the inflamation though, so from a short term perspective I would go for it. Just my opinion...
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Sounds similar to Blue's issue (his being his back). Any of the NSAIDs seem to be tough on liver and kidneys. For Blue, the vet had us medicate just until he seemed to feel better, then stop, so it was 3-4 days, tops, but your vet would know your dog best.

Is your pup on glucosamine/chondroitin at all? We've seen an amazing difference in our guys when they're on it. The vet who treated Blue recommended it for long-term maintenance. There are veterinary formulations (Cosequin is one). Our guys take a human (Costco's Kirkland brand) one each day. Since dogs can't have the "placebo effect", our experience shows it works. We do see a difference with the brand of g/c we use, and if we run out. Osteo BiFlex worked well and Kirkland does, too (and is cheaper). Other store brands haven't worked near as well (and some have an odd, chemical smell).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11540398&search=glucosamine&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043 4294965838&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&D=glucosamine&Ntt=glucosamine&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

It took about a week to notice a difference in our guys.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Hey Steve
    It really sucks when you gotta bring the cone out.
    Sorry to hear about Bear, hope he is coming along.
    He certainly does not look happy in that pic
    Shane
  • fishlessman
    Options
    he slept well last night with it but when i gooled rimadyl one of the first links said if it doesnt kill the dog within the first few days it should work well :ermm: you would think they would put that on the bottle or give you some hints in the vets office to watch for symptoms
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    used to give glucosamine to the old shepard, was in his food as well. this pup staarted having winter skin allergies so changed the food, should pick up a bottle of the glucosamine as it did do wonders with the old shepard
    fukahwee maine

• Mr Holloway
    Options
    Glad he had a good night
    You could also do a search for White willow bark
    It is a natural pain reliever.
    Not sure if you could find it in you area though
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Shane,

I have talked to a few Native North Americans about the white willow bark and they swear by it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mr Holloway
    Options
    I have seen it do some pretty amazing things :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ill look for it, might be something i might try, i eat ibuprofen like candy for my lower back
    fukahwee maine

• crghc98
    Options
    my vet had mentioned to me not to bother with the food, dosage wasn't enough, but to go ahead and give the gloucosomine tablets.

I agree, I do see a difference.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    The chances of him having liver problems are pretty low, similar to you or me taking our common NSAIDs. I'd say the important things your vet should have told you are to watch for GI issues: vomiting or diarrhea, if you see them, stop the med and let your vet know. Giving them with food and feeding multiple smaller meals can help prevent these problems. Don't give him another NSAID (like aspirin or advil) or a steroid (like prednisone) while he is on the Rimadyl. Kidney problems are a concern if an animal has pre-existing renal disease and then becomes dehydrated.

Animals don't have the placebo effect, the people who give them the meds and then monitor for changes do.

Are you guys serious about the white willow bark? I read a long time ago that birch trees have salicylic acid (aspirin) in the bark.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    they didnt give me much info on it, a reason i looked it up. not really happy with this particular vet, they keep changing doctors. they wanted to give him a steroid shot for his skin problem as well, has a winter allergy that disappears when the water is warm for swimming. decided a long time ago to stop those shots and just cone him when im not around. they never worked. with the rimadyl i see it says to avoid steroids with it all together, not sure which one it was because i was uninterested, is that a sign its time to find another vet or is it not that big a deal to mix those two
    fukahwee maine