Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Silicone bands?

Options
Cobra
Cobra Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever heard of, or used silicone bands? They are used in place of string to tie things up when cooking. They claim to be temp resistant to 600, just wondered it anyone had tried them.

Heres a link to what Im talking about.

http://www.4thegrill.com/hak785.html

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    that site doesn't open for me, but I assume you might be talking about these?
    IMG_0808.jpg

They work but seeing they have to be cleaned after use I seldom use them as butcher's twine is easier to use and then pitch in the trash!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I use baker's twine a good bit.. That stuff is great and if it burned off on a cook, I don't think there would be any issue. Plus it is really cheap ..now the silicone, I would personally be very careful to avoid accidentally burning or ingesting. I'ld bet a direct flame could cause a bit of nastiness.....but thats just me and clearly no scientific basis for my comment...
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I got a box of various sized silicone rubber bands that can be used in a variety of things in the egg. They work great.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I can see that there may be an "ease" with the bands, but I'm a string guy!
    Then, when everybody forgets to bring string (MMFF) :ohmy: ....skewers even work :whistle: !
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    I actually bought some yesterday, but I'm thinking of taking them back. When I've tied something up in the past, it's nice to just cut the string and be done with it. If I have to drag a rubber (silicone) band off of the meat, I'll likely burn my fingers and it'll likely drag some of the herbs and spices off the surface.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    I actually bought some yesterday, but I'm thinking of taking them back. When I've tied something up in the past, it's nice to just cut the string and be done with it. If I have to drag a rubber (silicone) band off of the meat, I'll likely burn my fingers and it'll likely drag some of the herbs and spices off the surface.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I bought some, but not sure that I really like them. I tried to truss up a chicken with them. Butchers twine is much easier. Also tried them on some stuffed chicken thighs I made. It was a mess. Maybe I need to try them again, but I find twine is much easier and I like being able to cut to the length I need.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Jer,

You and Steve put that contraption together, eh? Gotta admire the fine use of the cast iron skillet :P

5e531add.jpg

70850dad.jpg

24994aae.jpg

Hey, do you think you will be bringing someone this year or flying solo?
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Adam:
    Thanks for the picture tutorial.... :lol:
    Not sure if I can talk Toni into coming or if I'm flyin' solo again, but I will do my absolute best to be there. Maybe even taking vacation to get in on Saturday :woohoo: :woohoo: !!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I know you meant Friday :S this is a 3 day deal, Mr..
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    RIGHT ON....It's been a long, hard week :blush: