Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for original ABT's recipe and any variation on a theme recipes for holiday treat?

Comments

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Pebble,
    This probably aint original but is is definatly a good way to make abts
    2 lb of pulled pork ( I always smoke a butt to make the abts with)
    atleast 25 large jalepenios cut in half length ways and deseeded and deveined
    1-1/2 lb of thin sliced bacon ( thin sliced cooks up much better than thick) cut each slice in half so you have slices 4-5 inches long
    1 lb of peperjack or cheddar jack shreaded cheese
    8 oz of softened cream cheese
    1 teaspoon of cumin
    1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon of whatever kinda rub you like for ribs or butt (Emmeris cajun essence works great)[p]dump the shreaded cheese in a bowl
    add the spices and the rub
    add the cream cheese
    smush it all together until it is well mixed[p]set up your abt assembly station
    you should have
    1) about 50 or so cleaned jalepenio halves
    2) a bowl of cheese mix
    3) a puond and a half of thinsliced bacon
    and a place to put the assembled abt's[p]stuff a pepper half starting with about a teaspoon full of pulled pork
    followed by abour a teaspoon of the ceese mix
    then wrap the whole thing with a 1/2 slice of bacon
    stretch the bacon as you wrab kinda like applying an ace bandage (it is better if both ends of the bacon wind up on top of the cheese ) some folks use tooth picks to anchor the bacon to the peppers but if they are wrapped right there is no need for tooth picks.[p]I set the egg up fo an indirect cook (inverted plate setter) drip pan then a grill grate on top of th drip pan
    spray the grate with pam or wipe it down with cooking oil
    allow the dome temp to stabalize at 375-400 then arrange the abts on the grate the large will hold about 50 abts at a time let em cook for abut 35-45 minutes or until the bacon browns. when the bacon is ready the abts are done.[p]pull the abts off the egg and let em sit for abut 15 minuts to let the bacon crisp.
    I use cowboy lump charcoal since it is readily available fom Lowe's and a couple of chunks of hickory or oak for smoke.[p]these are always so good that they are addicting and around my house 50 abts are gone in about 15 minutes
    try em and youll like em
    Glenn[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Pebble,
    At Thanksgiving I tried a filling with creme cheese & dried cranberries topped with smoked turkey and wrapped in bacon.[p]I'm working out the bugs in a cornbread ABT: filling of cornbread mix, minced green onion, celery & green pepper, topped with a sliver of cheese and bacon wrapped. Can't quite get the cheese right but the best so far is the Queso (mexican crumbly cheese). They are like a reverse jalapeno popper

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Hey, that really sounds like a good idea. I really like most anything involving cornbread. I don't think my favorite blueberry cornmeal pancakes would get much out of being done on the egg though.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    34259%3C%3A%3B23232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E232335%3A85%3B666ot1lsi
    <p />Pebble,
    My ABT method is simple. I use fresh, medium-size jalapenos, regular cream cheese, frozen cocktail sausages, thin-sliced bacon and toothpicks. While the Egg is climbing to 350° direct, I cut the stems off the jalapenos and slice them in half end to end. I scrape out the seeds and veins and then fill each half with cream cheese. Then I place a frozen cocktail sausage (Little Sausage) in one half, cover with the other half, and wrap the entire thing in bacon. I pin the bacon with a toothpick. Cook them direct at 350° for about 30 to 40 minutes, flipping & turning periodically, and then cut into bite size pieces. Pin each piece with a toothpick. (Note: the smaller pieces keep your guests from squirting cream cheese on the floor like when they bite into large pieces. Plus, they go further. The reason for using frozen cocktail sausages is because the only item that needs cooking is the bacon. The frozen sausage tends to keep the cream cheese from melting while the bacon is crisping up.[p]Note: I:m on a diet and have substituted turkey bacon and low fat cream cheese, and it turned out surprisingly good.[p]You can also sprinkle your favorite spices or rubs on your ABT's to add variety to the flavors.[p]Spring (ABT'ing Tonight) Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Pebble, i made a dozen yesterday, the filling was as follows:
    1 pk cream chesse
    5 sundried tomatoes (soft)
    1/2 t rosemary powder
    salt & pepper to taste[p]everything else is standard.
    smoked with apple wood chips indirect @ 300F 1hr.[p]just FANTASTIC

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi, rosemary powder ? Do you make it and how ? That sounds interesting.