Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Baby Backs on my BGE

Options
HarleyDoug
HarleyDoug Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
planning on doing some baby backs - 3 pack from Sam's - my initial plan was to put them on before going to bed and letting them go till a.m. but after reading some recipes that may be too long (6-7 hrs) planning on 225 w/hickory a & apple chunks & chips. Of course no membrane and coated in mustard w/my fav rub. Also, do I need the V rack or will flat (bone side down) be just as good - should I just put them on in a.m. and plan for about a 5 - 5 1/2 hr cook going to use apple cider in drip pan & plate setter. Thanks much

Comments

• Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Searches on here will result in many different techniques.

I would think the overnight cook would be too long. Some other types of ribs will handle the length of time better than baby backs.

I have tried the 3-2-1 method and never was very happy with the outcome. But, last night, I did 5 racks of BB's at 275 degrees for 3.5 hours...PERFECT. At least perfect for me. I have found that the methods of foiling with apple juice just make the ribs too mushy. I like some "texture" in my ribs - but that's me and my family. So, for me: KISS - Rub them, put them on the XL and come back in a few hours!

BTW, I use the BGE roaster/rib rack - love it.
  • HarleyDoug
    Options
    Hey thanks - I wasn't planning on foiling just using apple cider in my drip pan on the plate setter - any ideas on V rack vs. flat on on the grill - any real difference since I'm just doing 3 racks? Thanks much
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Three racks of baby backs should lay flat on a Large BGE. I wouldn't worry with a rib rack. Be sure to rotate the ribs about once an hour so the outer edges don't get done faster than the inner pieces.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    HarleyDoug, I cook mostly spare ribs but, I feel the same can apply here. You can lay your baby back ribs flat bone side down on your grid over your plate setter. I never have a liquid in my drip pan. I don't feel liquid in my drip pan is needed. Also, I have an idea of the time it will take but I check for doneness by using a tooth pick in checking for resistance and I also check by picking them up with a pair of tongs and seeing how the slab bends over almost breaking in half.

Now keep in mind there is a proven method by the late Car Wash Mike that many eggheads use. You can read about that method here. Tim :)

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It will be easier to maintain the fire with a dome temperature of 250. At the start of the cook, that will have the grill at felt level around 225.

The time it takes for ribs varies some depending on the weight of the slab. An average slab of BBs usually needs at least 4.5 hours. I always allow some extra time, 5 - 5.5 hrs.

It seems to me that ribs cooked flat are more evenly cooked throughout. And, if you are saucing at the end, flat is a lot easier.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    There is no wrong answer :)...but I would definitely consider trying the CWM method Tim pointed out if you don't want to mess with foil. This method suggests a v-rack during the cook, but remove it and lay the ribs bone side down to sauce and finish.

One other thing I might suggest since you are doing 3 is to cut the racks in 1/2 and place them in the rack. Just my $.02 but I find them easier to deal with this way. It prevents the edges from hanging over the plate setter so you may not need to rotate.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HarleyDoug
    Options
    thank much! I've read and printed off Car Wash Mike's recipe and will use it next time - this is a start point - the three racks were a little too big so had to cut one in half - hey live & learn :) - I did mix some apple chips and hickory chunks in with the charcoal and and got the egg going at 275 did 2 w/dijon & 1 w/yellow mustard I'm thinking if I 'd had a half grill extender that would have been perfect - I'm loving my egg and really appreciate this forum and knowledge base and willingness to help and share knowledge

Harley Doug
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    If you have an extra grid you can get some bolts and make legs for cooking in layers. Tim ;)

000_1186.jpg
  • HarleyDoug
    Options
    Hey, thanks much! great idea - just have to make sure the total height is right w/plate setter. I put 3 racks on @ 2:30 @ 275 so I'm thinking 7:30 or so should be about right.

Thanks again,
    Doug
    Chelsea AL