Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt-Keeps going,going.....Where's my screwu

BiggyDogBreath
BiggyDogBreath Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried my first butt (2.3 lbs). Thought I did everything right. I've calibrated the temp gauge so that should be fine. Indirect with platesetter, 250 the whole time(checked every 30 mins and it hardly wavered throughout). Started at 12:30 pm and just pulled it off at 7:45pm. Internal temp only got up to 165. Never opened the egg at all until 4:45pm and temp was only 150ish then. I have a new thermapen.

Meat is obviously cooked and tastes fine but certainly is not fall apart to be able to have pulled pork. I'm at a loss. Ideas anyone?

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    You just needed to give it more time :) you were in the platue and it will stall there for a bit and then move on up in temp. 195-200 is pull apart :)also that is a tiny butt. maybe foiling it would help and keep it from drying out to much.
  • By no means am I an expert with only 3 butts done but keep waiting. Last nights butt was 9 lbs and took 19 hours and 10 minutes. Steady 250 dome and checked thermometer before cook. I will also watch this post to see what others have to say.
  • My first butt cooked at (to the best of my recollection) for about 5.5 hrs (4.5lb butt) at 265. It was quite possibly the best barbecue I have ever eaten. I also put a nice chunk of hickory in.
  • That's a small butt.

Try to get one with the bone in.

Chewy=not-done-enough.

Low and slow Low and slow.
  • If it was only 165, why did you take it off the egg? Cook it 'til it's done...195-200, as Mainegg said.

If you watch the temp during the cook, it will rise quickly until it reaches a certain temp (often right around 165) and hold there for HOURS, then it will start to rise again. That's what Mainegg meant by plateau.

You'll also want to calibrate your dome thermometer. 7 hours seems like a long time for a 2 lb piece of butt, but then again, since it's so small, the 1.5-2 hour per pound rule of thumb might not apply. Even so, it's possible your temp was well below 250, if you've never calibrated your dome thermometer. Mine was significantly off, when calibrated it for the first time...30 degrees or so, if I remember correctly. You don't notice it as much for short cooks, but for a low'n'slow, it's very obvious.

You're right, though. At 165, your butt was techincally "cooked" and safe to eat. Slice it, and serve it as sandwiches...still going to be darned tasty, if not fall-apart tender.

Better luck next time, and don't be afraid to get a bigger butt. If you're going to be waiting around for BBQ, you might as well make enough to have leftovers...bbq pork freezes well.