Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg maintenace

hotgrillharry
hotgrillharry Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I sometimes get a bitter, oily taste. Anyone know the reason? Does periodic cleaning help?

Comments

• chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Are you letting the 'bad' smoke clear before you start cooking? Particularly important with fresh lump. Around here it's called waiting for the new pope to get elected!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I think chocdoc nailed it. You need to burn off the VOCs before starting your cook. Aprox 45 to 60 min with fresh lump.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    You could also be tasting the fat drippings burning when they hit the lump... with some high fat meats cooked fast and close to the lump, you can get the taste you described... you may have to use a drip pan
    Kent Madison MS
  • Thnaks for the responses. Probably not letting the VOC's burn off.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Lots of lo-n-slo cooks will form some creosote high up in the dome around the top vent. If you notice fuzzy ash build up there, you need to do a high temp burn, and then rub away the remains. I've had a bit of creosote drip back onto meat, and the flavor is awful.
  • Thanks--I will definitely check it out.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Bitter and oily sounds like creosote to me...of course personalized descriptions like that are difficult to diagnose. Your bitter and oily may be my savory and delicious (embellishing a bit, but you get the idea).

Are you using a lot of wood chunks/chips/pellets? Are you really pouring the smoke to your food?
  • First I've heard of waiting 45 to 60 minutes to burn off bad smoke. Is this really necessary? I usually wait until the smoke clears and the coals are all glowing about 15 minutes.
  • First I've heard of waiting 45 to 60 minutes to burn off bad smoke. Is this really necessary? I usually wait until the smoke clears and the coals are all glowing about 15 minutes.
  • Fick
    Fick Posts: 9
    bubba tim wrote:
    I think chocdoc nailed it. You need to burn off the VOCs before starting your cook. Aprox 45 to 60 min with fresh lump.

Not to high-jack this thread but I'm considering an Egg purchase and they advertise that it is ready in 10 minutes; if it takes 45 minutes to burn off before use that will be a deal killer. Most of my use would be for evening grilling, only occasionally used for longer slow smoking.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    "and the coals are all glowing about 15 minutes" you would have to be lighting with a weedburner to have that scenario....30 to 60 minutes is more realistic.
  • WessB
    They also say a 20# bag of lump will last for months....do your research and then make a desicion...buying an egg is the single most life changing purchase anyone can make..but only you can decide....and it is NOT ready to cook on in 10 minutes..
  • if i am doing just a grill during th week, light it as soon as you get home and then have the martini, and get things ready to cook. the egg will be ready when you are. You will not make a mistake with the purchase,
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Fick
    Fick Posts: 9
    WessB wrote:
    They also say a 20# bag of lump will last for months....do your research and then make a desicion...buying an egg is the single most life changing purchase anyone can make..but only you can decide....and it is NOT ready to cook on in 10 minutes..

A bag of lump won't last for months? What next? Your going to tell me there's no Easter Bunny?
  • WessB
    I average 20 to 25 bags a year...Santa's comin soon...LOL