Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine/salt???

Options
BigA
BigA Posts: 1,157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so i had the pleasant expeirence to pass a kidney stone last friday and saturday :sick::sick: :( . WOW - i wish this on no one! but was at the dr today and he told me to cut out all my extra salt intake. So i sat there and thought to myself that i cant do that, no more rubs on my pork butts, brisket and ribs.... ya right, but what about brine. how much salt really gets in the turkey when you brine it?? any help would be great, dont need more stones.. i have 2 more that i dont need to get any bigger either.. :( :( :( :sick::sick:

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    sorry to hear of your pain! I'm not a doctor, technician or even a kidney stone passer, but my next door 56 year old neighbor college professor had "several stones blasted" in his urinary track last Friday and returned to his class room on Monday. BTW he doesn't use any salt other than what is used in the cooking. OTOH I happen to be subject to gout attacks brought on by a maintenance drug I must take. The prescribed warnings against consuming certain foods, spices and even "booze" have not slowed my wagon down! I hope you find the same middle of the road!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BigA
    Options
    trying to find the middle ground. this is something that i never ever want to indure again, and knowing i have 2 more to pass, well sucks!! just wonderin how much salt actually gets in the bird when you brine?? or if it is worth it on the egg, i have never brined one before.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I can’t speak to risk factors for kidney stones but I can give you my sympathy. I carried my stone for a not very fun week.
    As to turkey brining I have a couple of observations. If you are brining a frozen turkey you should be aware that they are injected with a phosphate solution before freezing and brining them will make them objectionably salty to most people. I have a co-worker that does this and then smokes them in his offset using Hickory logs. He is proud of his creosote coated salt logs that he produces. So I assume that he really likes salt and his preference for smoke is on the strong side.
    There is an article by my favorite food scientist (Harold McGee) that has me thinking about not brining at all this year it is here > http://www.curiouscook.com/cook/other_writings_detail.php?id=41
    I have been using air chilled chicken for a while and will be looking for an air chilled turkey this year. The air chilled process definitely makes a difference I find the chicken far more chicken flavored and very juicy.
    If I can find an air chilled turkey I will not be brining.
    WLL
  • BigA
    Options
    thanks for the info! :)