Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gone through lump?

EGGRPh
EGGRPh Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning everyone!
I have read where a couple on new eggers have gone through a bag of lump in a week. I know that burning your fuel depends on what you cook, but I have had my lg. since May and I figured that I have roughly gone through 50lbs of lump. That translates to 10 lbs a month. I know there are others here who do more cooks and longer cooks than I do, but I think that this is a testiment to the BGE on how it saves fuel. I know when I had a gasser I would at least fill the tanks twice to three times a season. Very expensive. I love my BGE. Anyone wants to chime in please do. Go Blue (Michigan).

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    yes it depends on the cooks you do and how hot the fire gets. i can go thru 5 - 7lbs in 1 cook with a lo n slo, but if i do alot of high heat cooks it burns pretty quick too, but yes you can save on the lump when doing certain cooks, it is a great thing. Plus the food is way better :)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Stef,
    I agree with your assessment on usage of lump. There was a time when I was concerned about how much lump I used and finally came to the conclusion that it is the cost of doing business. I love cooking on my Eggs and it takes lump to do so. When I first started Egging I would cook dinner and go into the house and eat, then sometime later I would go outside and close it down and that wasted lump. Now I close the bottom vent and put the rain cap on so the fire goes out faster to save lump. Back then I would light the Egg to soon maybe an hour or two before I need to cook, but now I'm lighting 30 minutes before I need to cook. I have also put some gasket material on the inside of the rain cap so it is a tight fit. Hope this helps everyone save lump.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I go through 40-50 pounds a month. :side:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Three tanks of propane is only $48, pretty cheap. I spend a LOT more on charcoal since I use 10 lbs or more a week.
  • While the bge uses little fuel compared to other cookers, I find my gasser more cost effective. Even three fill ups is just over 30 bucks. The trick is going to a propane dealer, not the exchange places. I just don't think my gasser tastes as good, so I use the egg for everything. I cook 4-6 times a week on it, and go through one bag every 1-3 weeks (depending on what I cook, and which size egg I use). If I use the mini and small most, it takes a long time to go through one RO 10lb bag.
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    I was just thinking about this earlier. I buy 200 lbs every Spring and usually that lasts me a year.

Well, I've done a lot more long cooks this year and have 60 lbs left of the 200 I bought in May.

20lb BGE bags.

If we have a winter in MD like last year, I'm gonna have to buy more!

coldone.jpg